Review Security Report

Thursday, Sept. 18

2:07 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who was ill from alcohol consumption on the third floor of Kahn Hall. The student was coherent, answered the officer’s questions and was escorted to their room.

Friday, Sept. 19

7:40 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Austin E. Knowlton Athletics Complex. Contractors working in the area created dust which activated the alarm near the press box elevator. The alarm was taken offline until work was completed.

8:35 a.m. A staff member reported that their vehicle was hit while parked in Robertson Lot between the Kohl Building and Lorenzo’s Pizzeria. The rear quarter panel and tail light were damaged. The vehicle was unoccupied at the time of the incident.

1:35 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of Fairchild House, which was activated by smoke from a cooking chicken. The alarm was silenced and reset, and a work order was filed for cleanup.

Saturday, Sept. 20

11:30 a.m. A staff member reported that a light pole fell on the sidewalk near Hall Annex. A work order was filed for repair and glass cleanup.

1:30 p.m. A custodial staff member reported vandalism in the gender neutral bathroom on the second floor of East Hall. The toilet paper holder was torn from the wall and broken.

6:50 p.m. A staff member reported falling, twisting their leg and injuring their knee while walking down the stairs by the ramp at Talcott Hall. They went to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

8:12 p.m. Officers were requested at the Austin E. Knowlton Athletics Complex to assist an ill visitor. An ambulance was requested and the visitor was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Sunday, Sept. 21

7:46 a.m. An officer on patrol observed the letter “C” missing from the aluminum pedestal sign at the Science Center. A work order was filed.

Monday, Sept. 22

7:20 a.m. A custodial staff

member reported that the first aid kit was taken off the wall in the first-floor kitchen in Langston Hall. A work order was filed.

9:05 a.m. A staff member reported non-offensive graffiti, done in black paint, at the east door of the second floor of Hall Annex. A work order was filed for cleanup.

2:30 p.m. A student reported that the carbon monoxide detector was activated at their village

housing apartment on College Street. Officers and an HVAC technician responded, and the detector was found to be disconnected from the outlet. The batteries were changed, and the detector was plugged in with no further problems.

3:26 p.m. A Philips gym staff member reported damage to an Oberlin College athletic van. The van, which was parked in the Union Street lot, sustained damage to the left rear bumper. Members of the Oberlin Police Department also responded for a report.

6:38 p.m. A student reported a stove fire in the kitchen of Fairchild House. Officers responded and discovered that cooking oil caught fire on the stove. The stove was cleaned, and a maintenance technician was advised to replace the fire extinguisher.

6:53 p.m. Officers responded to a reported suspicious person at Langston Hall, who entered the dorm as a student was exiting. Officers responded and checked the entire building, but the individual was not located. Students were advised to call Safety and Security if the person was seen.

Tuesday, Sept. 23

10:35 a.m. A facilities staff member reported damage to a College vehicle parked in the Union Street parking lot. There was an approximately 10 inch-long scratch and gray paint on the bumper molding. There was also a dent and scratch in the front of the left rear wheel. Photos were taken of the damage.

5:06 p.m. A grounds staff member requested assistance from officers at the ash dump where two contractors were arguing over mulch. It was agreed that there was a misunderstanding, and the incident was resolved.

8:21 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the South Hall elevator. The motor stopped functioning, which created a slight haze of smoke and activated the alarm. Out of order signs were placed on the door until repairs are made.