Security Report: Thursday Oct. 2 – Tuesday Oct. 7

Thursday, Oct. 2

3:07 p.m. An officer on patrol near Harkness bowl reported witnessing a Grounds employee strike a light pole and knock it over. There were no injuries, and an electrician responded to cap the wires.

9:24 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a Life Safety inspection in a room on the third floor of Talcott Hall. A glass pipe containing a substance consistent with marijuana and a grinder containing the same substance were both found in plain view. The items were confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

9:33 p.m. Student staff members conducting Life Safety inspections at South Hall reported observing a burnt marijuana cigarette on the windowsill of a second floor room. The staff members also found a glass pipe containing a substance consistent with burnt marijuana in plain view. The items were confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

9:38 p.m. Student staff conducting Life Safety inspections on the second floor of East Hall reported observing a glass pipe containing a substance consistent with burnt marijuana residue and two glass jars containing a green leafy material. The items were confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Saturday, Oct. 4

1:07 a.m. Student staff members reported a strong odor of burnt marijuana on the first floor of Asia House. The staff member made contact with the occupant of the room in question, who admitted to both smoking marijuana and burning a candle. The candle was confiscated.

6:41 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Union Street apartments. The alarm, which was activated by cooking smoke, was silenced and reset.

9 p.m. A resident of Barrows Hall reported that, at approximately 2 a.m., an individual urinated on a chair in a room on the third floor. The chair was taken to a custodial supply room on the first floor and left with a note. At- tempts are being made to identify the person responsible.

Sunday, Oct. 5

12:04 a.m. Officers responded to a report of an individual with an orange shirt kicking over light poles in the North Quad area. An individual fitting the description was located but denied creating any damage. The incident is under investigation.

9:51 a.m. An officer responded to a report of broken glass on the third floor of Fairchild Hall, where a full-length mirror in a hall was found shattered and splintered. A caution sign was placed in the area and a work order was filed to remove the mirror and clean up the glass.

10:11 p.m. A student reported that an individual wearing a red hooded sweatshirt had just taken the student’s bicycle from Mudd library. The individual left on the bike and headed toward Dascomb Hall, where they were stopped by members of the Oberlin Police Department. The officers confirmed that the bike belonged to the complainant and then returned it to them.

Monday, Oct. 6

1:07 p.m. A staff member reported witnessing two individuals skateboarding outside of Warner Center and claimed that they were interrupting a class. Officers responded and told the individuals that skateboarding was not permitted on campus. The individuals left the area.

Tuesday, Oct. 7

9:37 a.m. A staff member reported witnessing an individual walking on the east side of the Service Building and possibly smoking marijuana. An officer responded and located the student, who then admitted that they were smoking marijuana. The remaining “joint” was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

9:37 a.m. An officer on routine patrol in Tank Hall noticed a five-gallon jug filled with a brown liquid that was bubbling, along with a large box marked Northern Brewer, Brewery, in a box. The contents of the jug were disposed of and the box and contents were transported to the Security Office and placed in evidence.

2:24 p.m. Officers confiscated two empty beer kegs and a beer keg tapas a result of Life Safety inspections. The items were transported to Safety and Security for safekeeping. Two parking signs belonging to the Athletics department were also confiscated.