Security Report: Nov. 14 – Nov. 20, 2013

Staff

Thursday, Nov. 14

2:14 p.m. A student reported the loss of a black wallet, which was containing miscellaneous cards, a driver’s license and approximately $70. On Wednesday, Nov. 13 one of his debit cards was used at a café in downtown Oberlin. The student was advised to file a report with the Oberlin Police.

4:25 p.m. A student reported the theft of an unattended black backpack from the dance studio in South Hall. The backpack contained a MacBook laptop, notebook and miscellaneous items. The theft is under investigation.

2:05 p.m. The Bike Co-op staff reported a large sum of money missing from the co-op. There were no signs of forcible entry. The theft is under investigation.

Friday, Nov. 15

9:22 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the second floor of Allencroft House. The cause was found to be smoke from burnt food in the microwave. The smoke was cleared and the alarm was reset.

9:45 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Goldsmith apartments. A pair of jeans left atop a stove had caught fire, triggering the alarm. The fire was extinguished prior to the officer’s arrival, and the alarm was reset.

Saturday, Nov. 16

1:29 p.m. A student reported that damage had been done to her vehicle while she was parked in the Gray Gable parking lot. The rear wiper and light lens were torn off. Upon checking the lot further, five additional vehicles were found damaged. All vehicle owners were notified, and members of the Oberlin Police Department responded for a report.

2:56 p.m. Officers on duty in the Field House lot witnessed a vehicle driving wildly in the lot. The driver parked in the grass near the gate and attempted to exit the vehicle, but could not stand or speak clearly. Members of the Oberlin Police Department responded to the scene, and individual, who was not affiliated with the College, was taken into custody.

4:15 p.m. A student reported the theft of his backpack from outside the table tennis courts. The backpack is a black Jansport and contained an iPod, keys, calculator, notebooks, practice books and a black coat. The Oberlin Police Department was notified of the theft.

Sunday, Nov. 17

12:54 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption between Barrows Hall and Noah Hall. The student was released by paramedics and escorted to her room for the night. Three bottles of alcohol in plain view were confiscated and disposed of.

1:35 a.m. Officers on call in Langston Hall detected a strong odor of marijuana coming from a room on the third floor. Officers knocked on the door several times before it was opened. Occupants denied smoking anything in the room. All were advised of the College’s smoking policy.

2:05 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with an intoxicated student in Burton Hall. The student was able to answer all questions asked and was allowed to stay in his room for the night.

9:44 a.m. Custodial staff reported a ceiling tile that was knocked down just inside the west entrance to Kahn Hall. A work order was filed for replacement.

10 a.m. While an officer was doing a routine check of Bailey House the fire alarm sounded. The detector in alert was located, and the cause was students baking. The exhaust fan was on, but not venting the smoke properly. A work order was filed for repair.

7:48 a.m. An officer on patrol observed damage to the tent set up on the south end of the football field. It appeared as though someone attempted to burn part of the plastic tent cover, and there was a sizeable hole.

Monday, Nov. 18

4:08 a.m. An officer on routine patrol of the Field House observed two broken boards lying on the ground near the south entrance. The boards might have been blown from the edge of the roof in high winds. A work order was filed.

6:05 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street apartment. The cause of the alarm was smoke from overheated oil. The apartment was cleared of smoke and the alarm reset. Hanging in plain view was a “Road Closed” sign, which was then confiscated.

Tuesday, Nov. 19

8:57 p.m. A resident of Barrows Hall reported a strong odor of burnt marijuana on the first floor. Officers responded and located the room in question. After knocking several times with negative results, entry was made and a safety inspection completed. The odor of burnt marijuana was stronger inside the room, but the area was clear of contraband.

Wednesday, Nov. 20

1:09 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith apartment. Grease had overheated on a teakettle and activated the alarm. The alarm was reset with no further problems.