Security Report: Nov. 7 – Nov. 13, 2013

Thursday, Nov. 7

5:22 p.m. Staff members reported the strong odor consistent with marijuana on the fifth floor of Firelands Apartments. Officers responded and the occupant denied smoking anything; they stated that the smell could be coming from burning incense. The student was advised of college policy on burning and smoking in the dorms.

5:36 p.m. Staff members reported the smell of smoke coming from a room on the second floor of Dascomb Hall. The student was contacted and admitted that they had been smoking marijuana in the room.

6:39 p.m. A student reported the use of a fire extinguisher in the Old Barrows kitchen to put out a small fire. The fire was extinguished prior to officer’s arrival. A Maintenance Technician responded to make sure that the stove was functioning properly, and OSCA was told to replace the fire extinguisher.

Friday, Nov. 8

12:08 a.m. Officers requested an ambulance for an intoxicated student on the floor of the women’s restroom in the basement of Wilder Hall. The student was transported by ambulance to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

12:33 a.m. Officers requested an ambulance for an intoxicated student on the floor of the men’s restroom in the basement of Wilder Hall. The student was transported by ambulance to Mercy Allen Hospital.

12:52 a.m. Officers reported to Wilder Hall to assist an intoxicated student to her Village Housing unit on Pleasant Street. The student was returned safely.

1:01 a.m. An officer on patrol at Wilder Hall observed an intoxicated student in the men’s restroom. The student answered all questions he was asked correctly and was transported by officers to his dorm for the night.

9:18 a.m. A staff member at Dascomb Hall reported finding a glass jar containing what appeared to be marijuana. The item was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

3:01 p.m. An anonymous caller reported witnessing an individual fall off a motor scooter on the south side of Rice Hall. When officers arrived at the scene, the individual told them that he turned too sharply and lost control. He declined medical treatment. There were no visible signs of injury.

2:47 p.m. A student reported their pants, wallet, jacket, keys and ID missing after attending Safer Sex Night. The phone was tracked and found to be at a house on North Main Street. Officers, accompanied by Oberlin Police, arrived at the house and located the items. The student claimed that they had mistakenly picked up the items after the event in Wilder. The items were returned to their original owner.

Saturday, Nov. 9

1:11 a.m. A member of the Oberlin Police Department reported that they had arrested a student outside the Feve for underage consumption and disorderly conduct. Oberlin College officers responded to the police department and transported the student to his dorm.

3:52 a.m. An officer on patrol observed that the “Reserved” parking sign in Saunders House parking lot was missing from the post. A work order was filed.

12:50 p.m. Catering staff preparing for a Parents Weekend breakfast reported vandalism to the Heisman Club Field House. Six partition dividers were knocked over, three gallon jugs of water were broken and an eight-foot table was overturned.

1:21 p.m. A student reported the theft of a small black faux leather bag with gold strap while attending Safer Sex Night at Wilder Hall. The bag contained the student’s IDs, keys and other miscellaneous items.

Sunday, Nov. 10

12:45 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption on the second floor of Kahn Hall. The student was responsive, coherent and able to walk on her own. The student was transported to her place of residence.

1:07 a.m. A student requested assistance after falling off his bicycle and injuring his chin and bottom lip. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

3:08 a.m. Officers were requested to assist an intoxicated student who cut his foot on a piece of glass in the Firelands Apartments. The student informed officers that he was OK, and his roommates assisted in cleaning up the glass.

8:11 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Wright Laboratory of Physics. The alarm was found inside a mechanical room, which was then inspected. A work order was filed to check the system and the alarm was reset.

2:16 p.m. A student reported the theft of her locked bicycle sometime between the afternoon of November 9 and the morning of November 10. The bicycle is a red and black Trek 7.2 with a men’s frame.