The Review publishes every Friday.

Oberlin Faculty Underappreciated, Underpaid
Anisa Curry Vietze, Kushagra Kar, Gigi Ewing, and Arman Luczkow January 14, 2022

No one comes to Oberlin for the frigid and dull Ohio winters. No one comes to dine in Stevenson Dining Hall or to live in luxury in Barrows Hall. Instead, most students come to Oberlin because they’re promised an engaging intellectual environment — a place with stellar peers and outstanding professors...

Oberlin Omicron Surge Was Predictable and Avoidable
Gigi Ewing, Managing Editor • January 14, 2022

On Monday, Dec. 20, the College reported roughly 50 new COVID-19 cases within a 24-hour period, marking what was by far the biggest overnight leap in cases for the College since the start of the pandemic. For many students, myself included, this announcement came as no surprise. In the week leading up...

Delivering Food to Isolating Students Should Be Paid Work
Emma Benardete, Contributing Opinions Editor • January 14, 2022

The Jan. 5 issue of the Campus Digest included a solicitation from the Office of the Dean of Students asking faculty and staff volunteers to deliver food to students who were isolating after testing positive for COVID-19. The announcement includes a link to a Google spreadsheet where volunteers can sign...

Winter Break Quarantine Made Worse by College’s Negligence
Reginald Goudeau, Columnist • January 14, 2022

I really thought my semester would end better this time. Until recently, life was going relatively well for me. AtGN was a great show to work on and got pretty consistent praise from those who saw it. I even got to be an opener at Solarity and felt very proud of my performance following the event. I...

We Must Work to Destigmatize Conversations About Sexual Violence
Jenna Frizzell January 14, 2022

Over the past few years, discussions of sexual violence have been prominent on college campuses nationwide. From anonymous message boards to everyday conversations in the classroom and on the field, Oberlin is no different. Survivors of Sexual Harm & Allies, a student-led organization on campus,...

Oberlin’s Transportation to Cleveland: False Advertising 101
Emma Sullivan January 14, 2022

It feels like it was just yesterday that I was agonizing over which college to attend — sifting through brochures and scrolling through websites, attending virtual events, and making detailed pro and con lists. Through it all, there was one school that stood out to me: Oberlin.  Though Oberlin’s...

Professional Journalists Use Student Newspapers to Fuel Outrage Economy
Kayla Kim, Columnist • January 7, 2022

On Dec. 10, one week before Solarity, I wrote an article about how to make concerts safer and more accessible for students. Soon after, I was trending in right-wing communities as hundreds of commenters on all social media sites imaginable hurled insults, racial slurs, and even calls for expulsion at...

An Oberlin Education Creates Lifelong Learners
Donn Ginoza, OC ’74 January 7, 2022

A recent survey of alumni attempted to gauge consensus around what might be referred to as shared values — attributes we are known for that make us proud. There was one option that I was not surprised to see. I can’t recall the precise wording, but it was something to the effect of being learners...

Ode to OSCA From the Formerly Food Insecure
Celeste Wicks January 7, 2022

When registering for OSCA’s meal plan, I was offered checkable boxes for communicating my food needs: Eating Disorder? Nope. Allergies? Nope. Veganism? Yeah, no. I looked for a box entitled “Food insecurity.” When I was a kid I was allowed to eat anything I wanted; I only had to procure and...

Assessing the Five-Day Quarantine Guideline
Maya Pearl January 7, 2022

For the duration of the pandemic, the Oberlin College community has maintained relatively low infection rates. However, the situation has changed in the last few weeks, marked especially by President Carmen Twillie Ambar’s Dec. 23 email to the community reporting 158 new positive cases.  In the...

Faculty Salaries and Healthcare: Strategic Indicators of Success
January 7, 2022

Editor’s note: This is the text of a motion that faculty brought to the Wednesday General Faculty meeting. The faculty voted 82 percent to approve the motion, which will now go to President Carmen Twillie Ambar and the Board of Trustees. Read more about the motion here. Motion:  The Oberlin...

Responsible Journalism Does Not Censor Community Voices
Ella Moxley, News Editor • December 18, 2021

Two weeks ago, several editors at the Review, myself included, made the choice to publish an interview with Lorain County Republican Chairman David Arredondo. Sam Beesley’s article “Arredondo Interview Harmful, Offensive” criticizes the Review for publishing the interview, claiming that the interview...

College Faces Food Delivery, Testing Challenges Amid National COVID Spike

As students return from winter break, the College continues to administer COVID-19 testing and care for students in isolation. With 176 students, faculty, and staff testing positive for COVID-19 since campus reopened on Jan. 2, the Office of the Dean of Students, in collaboration with AVI Foodsystems,...

Former Professor Karl Offen on His Departure from Oberlin
Eric Schank, Production Editor & Senior Staff Writer • January 14, 2022

After six and a half years at Oberlin College, Professor of Environmental Studies Karl Offen has accepted a position at Syracuse University. Despite serving as chair of the Environmental Studies department from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2021, Professor Offen never received a full-time appointment at the...

The United States Postal Service will honor Edmonia Lewis  with a stamp that they will release on Jan. 26.
Uncovering a Forgotten Past: Sculptor Edmonia Lewis Commemorated by United States Postal Service
Nikki Keating, Staff Writer • January 14, 2022

The United States Postal Service plans to release the 45th stamp in the USPS Black Heritage Series on Jan. 26,  honoring former Oberlin College student and sculptor Edmonia Lewis. Lewis was an Oberlin student from 1859–1863, when she left after facing extensive racial abuse. Lewis went on to pursue...

Security Notebook
January 14, 2022

Thursday, Jan. 6, 2022 1:01 p.m. Custodial staff reported a bagged smoke detector in the second-floor lounge area of Barrows Hall. A Campus Safety officer responded and removed the plastic bag from the detector. Saturday, Jan. 8, 2022 1:25 p.m. Officers, Oberlin Fire Department members, and...

Students who are unable to meet the qualifications for a COVID-19 test from Student Health Services often seek a test from community resources like Mercy Allen Hospital or the Oberlin Public Library’s rapid test program.
Testing and Tracing: Tracking the Origins of the December 2021 COVID Outbreak
Ella Moxley, Gigi Ewing, Anisa Curry Vietze, and Eric Schank January 7, 2022

After a semester with minimal COVID-19 cases on campus, on Dec. 20, 50 students tested positive for COVID-19 in 24 hours. This moment marked the beginning of the only significant uptick of the virus that Oberlin has seen over the course of the entire pandemic. In the final week leading up to winter break,...

A student’s welcome package is delivered to their door as part of AVI Foodsystems’ food delivery program for students in isolation.
Meal Delivery for Isolated Students Faces Challenges During Winter Break
Kathleen Kelleher, Production Editor • January 7, 2022

At the start of winter break, 150 students remained on Oberlin’s campus in isolation for COVID-19, prompting a campus-wide effort to care for the sick students. In response to the spike in cases, AVI Foodsystems rapidly developed a meal delivery service for the break, and administrators worked to provide...

On Nov. 2, protesters set out portraits of their family and friends who were persecuted in the ongoing political killings in the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Allegations & Denial: A History Obscured
Kushagra Kar, Anisa Curry Vietze, and Gigi Ewing
Latest Episode
This week's show is a special episode about Juneteenth, made up of segments by The Weekly team: Nina Auslander-Padgham, Eric Schank, and Casey Troost. First, Nina and Eric present a segment on the Oberlin Juneteenth festival, how it is different this year, and address potential town and gown tensions as more students participate in the parade. Afterwards, Nina Auslander-Padgham interviews Annessa Wyman, an Administrative Assistant at the College, about her personal involvement in planning Juneteenth festivities for the last decade. Finally, Casey Troost's segment is on the history and meaning of Juneteenth with interviews with African American locals: Ms. Margaret Christian, honoary Juneteenth board member and local historian; featured poet LaTonya Fenderson Warren; Valerie Lawson, chairperson of the Juneteenth executive board; Adenike Sharpley, professor of Dance at Oberlin; and Shelley Shepard. This episode originally aired on WOBC Oberlin, 91.5 FM, Oberlin College and Community radio at 3:00 pm EST on August 2nd, 2021.
New Years Resolution
New Year's Resolution
Clair Wang, Illustrator
Comic: A Perfect Storm
Comic: A Perfect Storm
Holly Yelton, Illustrator
Tales from Oberlin Winter Beak Quarantine
Kathleen Kelleher, Production Editor • January 14, 2022

After over 150 students tested positive with COVID-19 just days before winter break, many were left with the daunting task of isolating in campus housing over the holidays. Most students look to winter break as an opportunity to retreat into the comfort of a childhood home, a reprieve from uncomfortable...

Stress Dreams: The Unhappy Marriage of Memory and Cortisol
Maeve Woltring and Leo Hidy January 14, 2022

With finals rounding the corner and the Omicron variant’s rampage through campus necessitating Oberlin’s temporary return to online classes, it’s a stressful time to be an Obie. For many students, the cold, gray monotony of a Midwest winter is already a formidable obstacle to mental health maintenance...

Read These January Book Releases Over Winter Term
Lilyanna D'Amato , Arts & Culture Editor • January 14, 2022

As finals week approaches, I’m spending most of my procrastination time thinking about reading. No, not reading and taking notes that will be graded based on completion or reading and writing a six-to-eight-page essay, but reading for fun. What a novelty! By this time next week, after I’ve submitted...

Staying Connected: Date Ideas for Long-Distance Couples
Zach Bayfield January 14, 2022

With Oberlin switching to remote options for the remainder of the semester, my girlfriend and I are going to be apart until the spring semester starts. We’ve been able to maintain our connection by talking over Zoom and FaceTime, but it’s frustrating knowing that you can’t be with the person you...

Joan Didion, famed American author, passed away on Dec. 23.
Writer Joan Didion Dies at 87
Lilyanna D'Amato, Arts & Culture Editor • January 7, 2022

Joan Didion, whose literary prowess emerged in the 1960s with her essay “Slouching Towards Bethlehem,” died in Manhattan on Dec. 23 from complications of Parkinson’s disease. She was 87. Her most famous works, which include her essay collection Slouching Towards Bethlehem, novels Play It As It...

Double-Degree Students Contend with Online Learning
Sydney Rosensaft and Maeve Woltring January 7, 2022

As the Omicron variant brings Oberlin to a standstill, students are finding themselves in close and lonely quarters with their computer screens, and the temptation to shut off their cameras and snooze until the end of class awaits as a formidable beast in the face of productivity. For Oberlin double-degree...

Spider-Man: No Way Home, A Spectacular Conclusion To Every Spider-Man Trilogy
Ale Jorge January 7, 2022

Editor’s Note: This review contains spoilers for Spider-Man: Far From Home.  As a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I have been excited for Spider-Man: No Way Home since the cliffhanger ending of Far From Home two and a half years ago. I was incredibly excited for No Way Home, and it did not...

HBO’s Euphoria Returns With Sinister Season Premiere
Jocelyn Blockinger January 14, 2022

This past Sunday, HBO’s critically acclaimed series Euphoria returned for its second season to mixed reviews. The first episode picks up right where the season finale left off, in spite of its two intermediate COVID-19-era bottle episodes, which highlighted Rue and Jules’ respective trepidations...

Theo Croker
Theo Croker, OC’07: Trumpeter, Composer
Indigo Stevens December 17, 2021

Grammy-nominated trumpeter, composer, and bandleader Theo Croker, OC ’07, returned to Oberlin on Dec. 15 for a performance at Finney Chapel. Since 2006, Croker has released five studio albums: The Fundamentals (2006), In the Tradition (2009), AfroPhysicist (2014), Escape Velocity (2016), and...

Joanna Rakoff
Joanna Rakoff, OC ’94, Journalist and Author
Maeve Woltring, Arts & Culture Editor • December 10, 2021

Joanna Rakoff, OC ’94, is the author of best- selling memoir My Salinger Year and novel A Fortunate Age, winner of the Goldberg Prize for Fiction, the ELLE Readers’ Prize, and a San Francisco Chronicle Bestseller. Rakoff began her writing career as a jour- nalist, and has written frequently...

Professor Yveline Alexis on New Book, Activism, and Haitian Diaspora
January 9, 2022

Editor’s note: This article contains graphic descriptions of police brutality. Associate Professor of Africana Studies and Comparative American Studies Yveline Alexis has taught at Oberlin since 2013. In 2011, she earned her Ph.D. in History and Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino/a Studies from...

David Arredondo
David Arredondo, Oberlin Admissions Director to Lorain County Republican Chairman
December 3, 2021

David Arredondo is the executive chairman of the Lorain County Republican Party, and in September he was elected as the committeeperson for Senate District 13 in Columbus. He is a lifelong resident of Lorain and has served as vice chairman of the Republican Party as well as chairman of the Lorain Area...

Bryan Burgess On His Return to City Council
November 12, 2021

Former President of City Council Bryan Burgess was re-elected as a City councilmember on Nov. 2 following a two-year hiatus from the position. Burgess took the hiatus after exhausting his term limit of five consecutive two-year terms. Burgess currently chairs the City’s Planning Commission...

Second-year Dimitrije Radusinovic on the men’s basketball team
In the Locker Room with Đorđe Otašević and Dimitrije Radusinovic, Star Basketball Players and Friends from Montenegro
Zoë Martin del Campo, Contributing Sports Editor • January 14, 2022

Third-year Đorđe Otašević and second-year Dimitrije Radusinovic both hail from Montenegro and attended the same boarding school;  now, they both play together on the men’s basketball team. Earlier this week, Radusinovic tied a career-high with 24 points and added a game-high 12 rebounds against...

Third-years Chase Sortor and Post pose while on a hike together.
In The Locker Room with Chase Sortor and Post, Queer Varsity Captains
Zoë Martin del Campo and Zoe Kuzbari January 7, 2022

Varsity field hockey captain Post and varsity cross country and track and field captain Chase Sortor, both College third-years, have been dating for the past seven months. The two athletes met during the first week of their first year in a French class. Throughout their relationship they have navigated...

Phoebe von Conta runs for Oberlin.
In The Locker Room with Phoebe von Conta, Fourth-Year and Track Star
Kathleen Kelleher, Production Editor • December 17, 2021

On Monday, College fourth-year Phoebe von Conta was named North Coast Athletic Conference Women’s Indoor Track Distance/Middle Distance Runner of the Week for the second week in a row. With an impressive cross country season, von Conta is leading the conference with a ranking of 25th in the country...

Local Browns Fans Comment on Disappointing 2021 Season
John Elrod, Contributing Sports Editor • January 14, 2022

After starting the season with grandiose Super Bowl hopes, the Cleveland Browns wrapped up a losing season this past Sunday. The team had won a playoff game the year before and made key signings and draft picks to improve their defense during the offseason. However, the Browns failed to live up to expectations...

The main entrance of Hales Gymnasium, home of historical sporting events
Remembering Hales Gymnasium: The Glory Days
Kayla Kim , Staff Writer • January 14, 2022

Compared to other buildings on campus, Hales Gymnasium hardly stands out. There’s already an athletics center, the Knowlton Athletics Complex, and a space for other sporting events, the Heisman Field House. More popular sites for social gatherings include the next-door Oberlin College Lanes and the...

Oberlin Athletics Community Provides Sense of Family for Student-Athletes
River Schiff, Senior Staff Writer • January 14, 2022

Following graduation, student-athletes often lose touch with the sports they had poured their hearts into for so long, but the bonds they created in their time at Oberlin last long after they leave campus. Athletics alums often turn to one another for advice, career networking, and friendship post-grad. For...

Non-Liberal Obies Reflect on Oberlin’s Political Status Quo
Zoë Martin del Campo, Contributing Sports Editor • January 7, 2022

Oberlin is known — and often ridiculed — for having radically progressive students, but not everyone at Oberlin is so politically left-leaning. The recruiting process in athletics has been known to bring in students who might not have otherwise chosen Oberlin. In fact, student-athletes at Oberlin...

Athletics Department Updates COVID-19 Guidelines Amidst Rise in On-Campus Cases
Zoe Kuzbari, Sports Editor • January 7, 2022

*Editor's Note: This story reflects the College’s COVID-19 athletics protocols at the time of publication, guidelines are subject to change over time.    With the recent rise in COVID-19 cases on campus, the College Athletics department has updated its protocols to ensure that students...

Student-Athletes Train from Home During Remote January Term
River Schiff, Senior Staff Writer • January 7, 2022

With the spike in COVID-19 cases and remote options available for the duration of fall semester post-break, many student athletes have opted not to come back in January. Athletes who are finishing the semester remotely have to contend with the separation from their teams for the month, and take on additional...

Oberlin’s Savage Stadium was the location of many football successes.
Remembering Savage Stadium: Home of Oberlin Football for 88 Years
John Elrod, Contributing Sports Editor • January 7, 2022

While the College now boasts a state-of-the-art football stadium, Knowlton Athletics Complex, the stadium that preceded it had a unique history of its own. Savage Stadium at Dill Field was built in 1925 after a run of success by the Yeomen. Up until its demolition in 2013, the stadium hosted a number...

Activate Search