The Review publishes every Friday.

Career Development Falling Short
Kushagra Kar, Gigi Ewing, Anisa Curry Vietze, and Arman Luczkow December 3, 2021

We spend four years of college indulging in intellectual rigor and creative self-discovery, before finally being thrust into the real world. At times, however, it can feel like Oberlin wants us to evade the real world — successfully or not — by going into academia. But for students who have decided...

College Finances Lack Adequate Transparency
Kelly Grotke, Les Leopold, Cassandra Ogren, Susan Phillips, and Kris Raab December 3, 2021

If, as Board of Trustees Chair Chris Canavan claims, there is no problem with transparency regarding the endowment and finances, we ask that the trustees and administration respond to the following questions:  1) Does the College's alternative investments portfolio include any investments in fossil...

SLAC Talk Addresses College’s Financial Situation
Tal Clower December 3, 2021

On Nov. 2, I attended a talk led by financial experts Kelly Grotke, OC '89, and Kris Raab, OC '89. They were invited by the Student Labor Action Coalition to discuss Oberlin's financial investments. Learning about Oberlin's investments shed light on a common pattern in Oberlin's current budgeting plans:...

Pennsylvania’s Elections Matter — Yes, Even in Oberlin
Emily Vaughan December 3, 2021

A few weeks ago I was sitting in my co-op's dining room talking with two other students from Pennsylvania. I asked them what they thought about John Fetterman, the current lieutenant governor of Pennsylvania and a Democratic candidate in the state's 2022 Senate race. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a politics...

Evidence Suggests It’s Not Time to Panic About COVID-19 on Campus
Malcom Seymour-Jones December 3, 2021

On Nov. 12, a Review front-page story titled "Uptick in COVID-19 Cases Prompts Student Frustration" cited student concerns about an increase in COVID-19 cases, while the editorial "27 COVID-19 Cases Indicates Insufficient Mitigation Strategy" called for mandatory routine testing. Neither of these articles...

Regaining Inspiration to Make Music
Reginald Goudeau, Columnist • December 3, 2021

For the longest time, I've struggled to create and release music consistently. This pattern is not due to me losing interest in rapping. If anything, I've only grown to respect the art form more as I've continued writing poetry and music. Instead, I blame something else for my lack of content and inspiration...

When Work-Study Doesn’t Work
Kayla Kim, Columnist • November 13, 2021

Like many students at Oberlin, my financial aid hinges on my participation in the Community-Based Work-Study Program. This means I’m required to get a job so I can pay for part of my tuition with that income. However, receiving a work-study financial aid package does not guarantee a work-study job....

27 COVID-19 Cases Indicates Insufficient Mitigation Strategy
Anisa Curry Vietze, Arman Luczkow, Gigi Ewing, and Kushagra Kar November 12, 2021

From the beginning of the pandemic, we've been impressed with the swiftness of the College's COVID-19 response, the comprehensiveness of its layered health strategy, and the innovation it brought to safely welcoming students back to campus. However, as the College now struggles to meet the high standards...

We Must Uplift Iranian Student Voices
Ava Miller, Columnist • November 12, 2021

As an Iranian-American, I've lived my life between two worlds. My mom's family is from Iran and speaks Farsi. My dad's family is from a conservative town in rural northern Illinois. Living in an Irish-Catholic suburb of Chicago forced me to assimilate into a culture that didn't fully represent my background.  Growing...

Dear President Ambar, Engage With Families of Iran’s Victims
Azadeh Pourzand, OC '07 • November 12, 2021

My name is Azadeh Pourzand, OC '07. When I started at Oberlin College as a first-year in 2003, I was a new immigrant to the United States, having essentially fled my beloved birthplace, Iran. Given that both my parents were human rights defenders in Iran, they both experienced persecution, intimidation,...

Oberlin Students Fail to Show Up for Local Elections
Emma Benardete, Contributing Opinions Editor • November 12, 2021

"Where Was Voter Turnout Lowest? Oberlin College," reads a Chronicle-Telegram headline from Friday, Nov. 5. For the first time since 2011, Oberlin precincts 7 and 8, which encompass the vast majority of the College's student housing, saw voter turnout rates in the single digits — 2.92 percent and 1.56...

Mahallati Editorial Needs Context
John Elder, OC '53 • November 12, 2021

I cannot help but be deeply sympathetic with the participants in the Nov. 2 protest — against Professor of Religion and Nancy Schrom Dye Chair in Middle East and North African Studies Mohammad Jafar Mahallati — who mourn the death of their friends and family members. And I understand the power of...

Oberlin Redistricted for Congressman Bob Latta
Ella Moxley, News Editor • December 3, 2021

Governor Mike DeWine signed a new congressional district map into law on Nov. 20, after months of partisan debate and multiple lawsuits. The new map has already received criticism from Democrats and pro-democracy groups for being passed on party lines. The new map moves Oberlin out of Jim Jordan’s...

Completion of Reservoir Project Estimated for Spring of 2022
Kathleen Kelleher, Production Editor • December 3, 2021

Big Trees, Inc., the City contractor for the Morgan Street reservoirs’ remodel, has made substantial progress on the conversion to wetland and expects to finish the project in the spring of 2022. The contractor is currently working on the improvement of water outlet structures for both reservoirs....

Staff from Oberlin City Schools sort through a recent
donation of goods with an estimated value of over $12,000.
Local Resident Donates Winter Clothing to Oberlin City Schools
Shannon Schulz December 3, 2021

Inspired by stories of need in local communities, Elyria Realtor Tammy Koleski donated over $12,000 worth of brand-new clothes, hats, shoes, and gloves to Oberlin City Schools last Monday. Koleski has been donating to school districts and sports teams across Lorain County for the past year and a half....

Security Report
December 3, 2021

Thursday, Nov. 25, 2021 1:55 a.m. Campus Safety officers were requested to assist with a student at Harkness House who was ill from alcohol consumption. The student was coherent, able to answer all questions asked, and aware of their surroundings. The student declined medical treatment. Friday,...

COVID-19 Update
December 3, 2021

Oberlin College Updates Between Nov. 8–Nov. 23, the College’s internal testing documented two positive COVID-19 cases among students. Between Nov. 8 – Nov. 28, the College was notified of zero new COVID-19 cases from outside testing. Earlier this week, the College announced they would begin...

After a recent uptick in COVID-19 cases, students have experienced long wait times and delays when seeking a test at the Student Health Center.
Uptick in COVID-19 Cases Prompts Student Frustration
Ella Moxley, News Editor • November 12, 2021

In the last three weeks, 27 students have tested positive for COVID-19. This period has resulted in the highest weekly caseload since the pandemic began and has prompted changes to testing and concern from the student body. Throughout last week, most Student Health appointments were fully booked so...

On Nov. 2, protesters set out portraits of their family and friends who were persecuted in the ongoing political killings in the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Allegations & Denial: A History Obscured
Kushagra Kar, Anisa Curry Vietze, and Gigi Ewing
Latest Episode
This week's show is a special episode about Juneteenth, made up of segments by The Weekly team: Nina Auslander-Padgham, Eric Schank, and Casey Troost. First, Nina and Eric present a segment on the Oberlin Juneteenth festival, how it is different this year, and address potential town and gown tensions as more students participate in the parade. Afterwards, Nina Auslander-Padgham interviews Annessa Wyman, an Administrative Assistant at the College, about her personal involvement in planning Juneteenth festivities for the last decade. Finally, Casey Troost's segment is on the history and meaning of Juneteenth with interviews with African American locals: Ms. Margaret Christian, honoary Juneteenth board member and local historian; featured poet LaTonya Fenderson Warren; Valerie Lawson, chairperson of the Juneteenth executive board; Adenike Sharpley, professor of Dance at Oberlin; and Shelley Shepard. This episode originally aired on WOBC Oberlin, 91.5 FM, Oberlin College and Community radio at 3:00 pm EST on August 2nd, 2021.
Comic: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Holly Yelton, Illustrator
Comic:  DeCafé  Standoff
Comic: DeCafé Standoff
Cat in the Cream hosted indie rock band Slow Pulp and student band Boxed Whine on Monday, Nov. 29.
Student Band Boxed Whine Opens for Indie Group Slow Pulp
Sydney Rosensaft, Senior Staff Writer • December 3, 2021

On Monday, Nov. 29, the Cat in the Cream hosted indie rock band Slow Pulp with an opening performance from Oberlin student band Boxed Whine. Hoping to increase event turnout and revitalize the campus music scene, the Cat is making a concerted effort to showcase more student talent at their performances. College...

Reading Recommendations from Review Staff
December 3, 2021

As students look ahead to a long-awaited and much-needed break, a few members of the Review staff have compiled a collection of their favorite books. We encourage you to get cozy with these five reads over the holidays. The Next Great Migration: The Beauty and Terror of Life on the Move by...

Chabad at Oberlin Hosts First-Ever Dreidel Tournament
Maeve Woltring, Arts & Culture Editor • December 3, 2021

This semester marks a rare alignment; all eight nights of Hanukkah will occur while school is in session. On Nov. 28, Chabad at Oberlin Co-Di- rector Rabbi Shlomo Elkan decided to kick off the holiday with something new: a March-Madness-style dreidel tournament. Around 75 students participated...

Virgil Abloh, artistic director of Louis Vuitton menswear collection and founder of the streetwear brand Off-White, died Sunday, Nov. 28.
Virgil Abloh, Fashion Revolutionary, Dies at 41
Milo Hume December 3, 2021

Artist, designer, and DJ Virgil Abloh died in Chicago last Sunday after privately battling a rare cardiac cancer. The 41-year-old was diagnosed in 2019, though he remained at the helm of his popular streetwear brand Off-White and served as the artistic creative director of Louis Vuitton menswear...

Oberlin Shansi Opens 2022 In-Asia Applications
Erika Scharf December 3, 2021

Oberlin Shansi, a cultural exchange program between Oberlin College and universities and non-governmental organizations in Asia, has a rich history in the College. It has connected students with international research opportunities for over 100 years. The association, founded by an Oberlin graduate...

As live music returns to Oberlin venues with the relaxing of COVID-19 restrictions, bookers at both the ’Sco and the Cat in the Cream struggle to bring musicians willing to comply with the College’s COVID-19 protocols.
Campus Music Venues Face Booking Obstacles During Pandemic
Raghav Raj December 3, 2021

In contrast to the empty stages that defined so much of Oberlin’s live music scene during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, this fall semester has brought the tradition of live performances back to campus. Despite recent full-capacity concerts at beloved College venues like the Cat in the...

Associate principal bassoonist of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Martin Garcia.
On the Record with Master Bassoonist Martin Garcia
Kathleen Kelleher, Production Editor • November 5, 2021

Martin Garcia, associate principal bassoon in the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra since 2011, will host a master class for Oberlin College and Conservatory Students Monday, Nov. 8. Garcia, a Fulbright grant recipient from Donna, Texas, has played with the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, the...

On July 31, the performer credited with revitalizing Northeast Ohio’s Burlesque scene lit up the Solstice stage — Oberlin students will not be soon forgetting the name Bella Sin.
On The Record with Bella Sin, Burlesque Superstar
Maeve Woltring, Arts & Culture Editor • August 6, 2021

This past Saturday, Burlesque superstar Bella Sin graced the Solstice stage in Oberlin’s Heisman Club Field House. Sin is an on icon of Burlesque, a type of variety show that involves elaborate dance and intricate and erotic costumes. Sin was declared one of “Cleveland’s Most Interesting People”...

On the Record with Deesha Philyaw, Author of The Secret Lives of Church Ladies
Nico Vickers, Managing Editor • July 30, 2021

Author and columnist Deesha Philyaw came to campus on Monday to discuss her new collection of short stories, The Secret Lives of Church Ladies. Since its publication in September  2020, the collection has won the 2021 PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction, the 2020 Story Prize for Fiction, and the 2020 Los...

David Arredondo
David Arredondo, Oberlin Admissions Director to Lorain County Republican Chairman
December 3, 2021

David Arredondo is the executive chairman of the Lorain County Republican Party, and in September he was elected as the committeeperson for Senate District 13 in Columbus. He is a lifelong resident of Lorain and has served as vice chairman of the Republican Party as well as chairman of the Lorain Area...

Bryan Burgess On His Return to City Council
November 12, 2021

Former President of City Council Bryan Burgess was re-elected as a City councilmember on Nov. 2 following a two-year hiatus from the position. Burgess took the hiatus after exhausting his term limit of five consecutive two-year terms. Burgess currently chairs the City’s Planning Commission...

Eboni Johnson, College Librarian, Enters City Council
November 5, 2021

On Tuesday, Eboni A. Johnson, outreach and programming librarian at Oberlin College Libraries, was elected to Oberlin City Council in an uncontested election, winning a narrow plurality of the vote. Johnson is one of two new members of City Council, and the only one with no former Council experience....

Fourth-year basketball player Wolf Moser poses for media day.
In the Locker Room with Fourth-Year Men’s Basketball Captain Wolf Moser
Zoe Kuzbari, Sports Editor • December 3, 2021

On Nov. 23 College fourth-year and captain of the men’s basketball team Wolf Moser scored a career-high 27 points against Carnegie Mellon. While on his gap year from 2020-21, he worked on basketball skills and better prepared for his future — securing a job at Cisco Systems. Despite the fact that...

College third-year and YeoFit instructor Andreea Procopan skydives.
In The Locker Room with Andreea Procopan, YeoFit Trainer
Zoë Martin del Campo, Contributing Sports Editor • November 12, 2021

College third-year Andreea Procopan began her fitness journey at Oberlin by trying out different YeoFit classes. She’s an international student who grew up in Moldova and only played one sport in high school for a very short period of time. She now teaches multiple classes and has even created her...

Second-year field hockey player Susan Robinson-Cloete competes on Oberlin’s home turf.
In The Locker Room with Susan Robinson-Cloete, Field Hockey Forward and Student Researcher
Kayla Kim November 5, 2021

Susan Robinson-Cloete is a second-year on the field hockey team who plays forward and scored the winning goal in the last game of the season. After playing goalie her entire career before Oberlin, Susan was moved to forward for the first time in a field position. The game against Transylvania University...

Oberlin High School soccer alumni team poses before their 2019 game.
Local Soccer Culture Values Diversity, Passion for Sport
John Elrod, Contributing Sports Editor • December 3, 2021

If you step on the field of a local youth, high school, or pickup soccer game in Oberlin, you will see unmatched passion and a respect for the game. This would not have been the case 50 years ago, since soccer’s roots in Oberlin are fairly new compared to other sports. Basketball, for example, has...

Second-year Gina Lombard competes against Muskingum University on Nov. 23.
Women’s Basketball Dominates Season Thus Far
Zoë Martin del Campo, Contributing Sports Editor • December 3, 2021

With six wins under their belt, the Oberlin women’s basketball team has broken school records, starting the season 6–0 and 1–0 in conference play. It is no accident that the season is off to a fantastic start; the team has worked tirelessly to build a competitive and supportive atmosphere since...

Fourth-year Clare Tiedemann competes during the spring 2021 season.
Preview of Oberlin Track and Field’s Upcoming Season
River Schiff, Senior Staff Writer • December 3, 2021

On Dec. 4, the indoor track and field team will compete against Case Western Reserve University in its first meet of the season. After finishing in fifth place in the North Coast Athletic Conference cross country standings, the team looks to keep its upward momentum and reaffirm past successes as the...

A student dives during the Oberlin Swim Invitational.
Rookie Athletes Shine in Oberlin Invitational
Kayla Kim December 3, 2021

While most of campus was cramming for midterms and preparing for Thanksgiving break, the Oberlin swim and dive team spent Nov. 18–20 competing against ten other colleges at the Oberlin Invitational. The Yeowomen rose to the occasion with a first-place finish overall after a close loss to Ashland...

Oberlin College football’s offensive line sets up at the line of scrimmage.
Oberlin Football Looks to Make Last Impact in 2022 Season
Zach Bayfield November 12, 2021

Despite a challenging 2021 season, Oberlin football is looking to end the year on a high note. Two weeks ago the Yeomen beat Hiram 31–28, and are hoping to secure a second win this Saturday against the Allegheny College Gators. The team has improved significantly, but its record has not reflected this,...

College second-years on the volleyball team Andréa Jones and Taylor Gwynne.
Volleyball Second-Years Earn NCAC Honorable Mentions
Zoe Kuzbari, Sports Editor • November 12, 2021

Last Friday, College second-year volleyball players Taylor Gwynne and Andréa Jones were both selected as Honorable Mentions by the North Coast Athletic Conference.  Gwynne tallied 712 assists this season and finished third in the NCAC with an average of 8.79 assists per set. She now holds the record...

Activate Search