Dandelion Romp Dances into Oberlin for 20th Anniversary

Mikaela Fishman

Oberlin’s annual Dandelion Romp celebrated its 20th anniversary last weekend, filling Hales Gym with an animated crowd of dancers. Dandelion Romp is a three-day contra dance event where community members come together and practice the folk dance. Contra is an American dance form with Scottish, French, and English origins and features lines of couples who intermingle throughout a dance, led by a caller who teaches the dance’s steps and rules. Oberlin hosted the event from 7:30 p.m. to 12 a.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. Saturday, and from 9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Sunday, with supplemental workshops at the Cat in the Cream on Saturday and Sunday. The proceedings featured Dela Murphy and Alexandra Deis-Lauby, two touring callers, and touring bands Center Street and Sassafras Stomp. The event, which was organized by College seniors Mikaela Fishman and Caide Jackson, mid-year graduate Adam Work, College first-year Eliza Goodell, and double-degree senior Molly Tucker, drew a range of dancers — some Oberlin students but also many alumni, Oberlin residents, and contra dancers from various walks of life. Swing by next year or come to the on-campus contra dances each month if you’d like to join in the fun!