Bring A-House Lunch Back

Photo by Erin Koo, Photo Editor
Lord Saunders Dining Hall is located in Afrikan Heritage House.

To Oberlin College and Conservatory administration, Board of Trustees, and Oberlin students: 

On Sept. 15, 2023, ABUSUA held a community meeting to discuss issues around campus. A big issue that was discussed was AVI Foodsystems. Relating to Afrikan Heritage House, we found these to be the biggest issues: 

1. The main priority that we would like to discuss is lunch in A-House. In our 2020 demands, we asked for Campus Dining Services to offer more meals catered to students of color. In our demands, it was agreed upon that this was a temporary measure contingent on the pandemic; however, it was also stated that we would be in constant communication. We did not have any communication directly with A-House or ABUSUA about possibly losing this staple. This year, Black students are battling communication issues in all departments, and it has become evident that administrators do not understand how important it is to communicate issues with students, especially those who live in intentional spaces and are the minority group on campus. Lunch in Lord-Saunders’ dining hall served more than just A-House, and was an option for all South Campus students. While we know dining is not perfect, students are forced to overcrowd the other options on campus and not have a closer option on South Campus. We would love lunch back or to discuss compromises such as Friday dinner, etc. 

2. With that being said, we need more staff! A huge reason why lunch and dinner  are low in numbers is because there is not enough staff to ensure that students are tapping. In Stevenson Dining Hall, there is a staff member near the sign-in who will literally follow anyone who enters without swiping in. If the administration doesn’t respect A-House, neither will students, and it has shown in our numbers. Aside from people not tapping, our consistent staff is cleaning up later than staff at other dining halls because there are so few of them. They are overworked and because of that, we as students get the short end of the stick. We are hoping that you would consider giving A-House more Black staff such as Ms. Erica and Mrs. Katreena. We know that the process for picking is based on seniority; however, in a safe and intentional space, we are asking for staff members who look like us and understand the food that is being served. Also consider giving Mr. Eugene a raise or a higher title because he has been pivotal in the community, ensuring that we are happy, and getting the things that we need. 

3. In addition, the menu needs consistency. The menu doesn’t accurately reflect the African diaspora. We would love to discuss the recipes that y’all are using and try to make this better for students. It is great to have a space that reflects our food, but it should not be done lazily and research must be done into our culture. Also, like any other dining hall, the menu online should reflect what’s being served and what’s on the menu display. 

4. Language and what you say is important. We have heard from many incoming students, parents, and AVI staff members that “A-House has good fried chicken on Sunday.” You may not see this as a problem; however, there are huge undertones when you say this! A-House has more than fried chicken, and we are more than that. This goes with having low attendance at other times — when you don’t promote our lunch and other dinner recipes, how do you expect to get more students? Instead, you could say, “A-House is both an intentional learning and living environment that has a dining hall attached to it with amazing food catered to the African diaspora.” We are the only dorm that does a high amount of programming and activism on campus and it is horrible to hear both your staff and students only attach fried chicken to Black students.

5. A big problem for all South Campus students is the lack of dining on our side of campus. We are separated from all things when it comes to programming and dining. A-House needs dining hours back. Think about it like this: we have to walk 15 minutes for food, and once we get back, the food is cold. There is a rush hour during lunch, so students have to choose whether to eat and wait in line or starve. In addition, as mentioned earlier, if the menu is not accurately reflected, students are walking to North Campus and then are disappointed when they don’t get the meal they expected. AVI could send an announcement through the mobile order app or put it on social media. These problems are exacerbated when it is cold outside. 

6. Lastly, we just ask for respect. AVI had a meeting in Saunders Lounge and, maybe they didn’t realize it, but they were occupying space without thinking about the community they were in. Students see A-House as an intentional and cultural space, so to have non-Black staff occupying that space with no warning is rude and can be triggering. Please advise staff members to not do that if possible. 

ABUSUA would like to continue future dialogue with the Oberlin administration on forming a better relationship between students of color on campus and AVI.