Security Notebook

Thursday, March 8, 2018

8:51 a.m. A staff member reported receiving a phone call from an Oberlin College number used in a credit card scam. The information was reported to the telephone office.

9:45 a.m. A student reported the theft of items from their unlocked Union Street Village Housing Unit sometime during the night. A red, white, and blue Fila jacket and a black and orange JBL speaker were taken.

Friday, March 9, 2018

2:35 a.m. A Safety and Security officer on routine patrol observed lights on in a practice room on the second floor of Robertson Hall. Upon further investigation, a student was found standing against the wall in the room. The student acknowledged being asked to leave at closing but did not. The student was again asked to leave the building and complied.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

1:34 a.m. Officers assisted a student, ill from alcohol consumption, on the third floor of Johnson House. The student was able to answer all questions and was transported to their dorm room for the night.

10:05 p.m. Officers responded to a reported strong odor consistent with burnt marijuana. Officers made contact with students of the room in question. Several open beer and alcohol containers, along with two bongs, a propane torch, and a bagged smoke detector were observed in plain view. The alcohol was disposed of, the bongs and propane torch were confiscated and delivered to the Oberlin Police Department, and the bag was removed from the detector.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

1:20 p.m. A student reported losing their dorm room key somewhere in the area around Zechiel House, Langston Hall, and Wilder Hall. The facilities manager on call was contacted for a lock change.

Monday, March 12, 2018

12:29 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street Village Housing Unit. Boiling paraffin wax mixture that had caught fire caused the alarm. The fire was immediately put out with a fire extinguisher. The area was cleared of smoke and the alarm reset. A work order was filed for cleanup.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

8:20 p.m. A student reported the theft of their yellow Hydroflask water bottle from the fourth floor of Mudd library. When the student reported the theft to the main desk, staff advised they had received the student’s cell phone. Upon checking the phone, an unknown person had sent a threatening message to one of the student’s friends, who was notified of the circumstances.

Friday, March 23, 2018

5:52 p.m. A staff member reported that their vehicle was damaged while parked in the Wilder Hall lot. An officer observed a scuff mark and small dent in the right rear door. The individual responsible for the damage is unknown.

8:25 p.m. Officers assisted a staff member who fell down the stairs near the TIMARA studios. The individual was transported by ambulance to the Mercy Allen Hospital emergency room for treatment.