Meet Your Student Senators

Photo courtesy of Joshua Rhodes

Student Senators at their most recent plenary meeting.

This article is part of the Review’s Student Senate column. In an effort to increase communication and transparency, student senators will provide personal perspectives on recent events on campus and in the community.

It has been two weeks since Student Senate had our first weekly plenary meeting. During our first two meetings, we elected internal positions, voted on working group proposals, and discussed personal views and goals for the semester. One topic that we continue to focus on is transparency. It has become our mission to present as much information about our decisions as possible, and to include the student body in making these decisions. In an effort to raise awareness for what Student Senate is, each senator has written a statement explaining who we are as students on campus, what our goals are on Senate, and what you can find us doing beyond being student senators. We have included seven senator statements below for this week; the remaining eight statements will be published next week. 

Bridget Smith: My name is Bridget Smith and I use she/her/hers pronouns. I am a third-year studying Politics and Education, and I am chair of Senate. This semester, I hope to strengthen Oberlin’s Winter Term programming, support other senators with their working groups, and represent student concerns to the administration. In my spare time, you can find me at Ginko’s! 

Caleb Knapp: Hello all! My name is Caleb Knapp, I am a third-year History major, and I use he/him/his pronouns. Outside of Student Senate, I am involved with Jewish life on campus, am on the Oberlin Debate Team, and work as a Resident Assistant. On Senate, I would like to continue my work on disability advocacy and addressing campus community issues, both through dialogue and intentional programming. Also, in my role as vice chair this semester, I want to increase institutional memory within Senate, as well as improve transparency and communication of Senate’s work with the Oberlin community at large. However, more than anything, I want Oberlin to be a space where everyone feels like they belong, and can have their voices heard.

Renzo Mayhall: My name is Renzo Mayhall, I use he/him/his pronouns and I’m a second-year! I plan on majoring in Comparative American Studies and Philosophy and minoring in Economics. When I’m not studying or working, I like to hang out with friends, and play soccer and music. This year on Senate, I’m the co-chair of the Student Finance Committee. That means I’ll be the liaison between Senate and SFC, and I’ll work with SFC to fund student projects and activities through the Student Activity Fund. One project that I’m really excited about working on is collaborating with both Senate and SFC to make some cool stuff happen during Winter Term on campus, since Oberlin is trying to increase student presence here during the month of January. Feel free to reach out to me via email at any time!

Kofi Asare: Hi everyone! My name is Kofi Asare, I use he/him/his pronouns, and I am a second-year Biology major. When I’m not doing schoolwork, I stay busy by competing on Oberlin’s track and field team, and working as a Peer Advising Leader and a Peer Mentor. I’m also a member of clubs such as ABUSUA and African Students Association. This semester, I hope to bridge the gap between students and Student Senate so that Senate is more accessible to the student body, while also trying to represent student athletes and other minority students on campus in any way I can.

Raavi Asdar: Hi! My name is Raavi Asdar, I use he/him/his pronouns, and I’m a second-year planning on majoring in History. I joined Senate in the spring of my first year and I’m serving the second semester of my first term on Senate. I will continue this year in my role as chartering liaison. I am also interested, alongside other Senators and students, in working on College policy and programming under the umbrella of mental health support. When not procrastinating on my readings on the first floor of Mudd center, you can find me in the pottery co-op throwing into the early hours of the morning.

Patrick Powers: Hello! My name is Patrick Powers, I use he/him/his pronouns, and I’m a third-year from Portland, OR studying Russian & East European Studies and Comparative Literature. Outside of school and work, I love reading, weightlifting, playing drums, and watching movies with friends. This semester on Senate, I am the committee liaison. I am looking forward to helping students engage with Oberlin’s committee governance system, and to working with the Winter Term working group toward a robust network of on-campus Winter Term opportunities. 

Rory Callison: Hi, I’m Rory Callison! I use he/him/his pronouns. I’m the only first-year on Senate this semester. I was born and raised in Denver, Colorado. I love theater, history, and politics. My goals in Senate this semester are to help my fellow first-years get smoothly acquainted with our new home, be as open and transparent as possible, learn more about the community so I can help further in the future, and help the Oberlin community and all of its members in any way I can. If you ever need anything, you can just shoot me an email or send me a message over social media — I’m on both Facebook and Instagram and I’ll definitely get back to you. Don’t be afraid to reach out for Senate-related business or if you just need a friend. I’m good for both! I’m looking forward to making this community a better place with your help! 

I hope our statements have made you feel a little more in tune with us. Be sure to read next week’s column to see the other senators’ statements. We look forward to seeing you around campus. Please come to our weekly plenary meetings, attend our office hours, and be a part of our working groups. We always look forward to working with our fellow friends and classmates.