Queers and Allies Club Hosts Bake Sale on Wilder Bowl

Chris Schmucki

The Queers and Allies Club of Oberlin High School hosted a bake sale yesterday to raise money for its expanding group. The event brought students from both the local high school and the College together over tasty baked goods, the proceeds of which went toward supporting club initiatives and t-shirts for members. “We got a decent amount of new members this year,” said Oberlin High School student and club vice president Makayla R. “We want people to be able to join the club and get a shirt for little to no cost because we know that not everyone has money to spend on shirts.” Money raised in the event will also go toward an LGBTQ+ prom which typically happens in March or April, among other planned events. As the club continues to expand its membership, members hope to broaden their positive impact on the Oberlin community. “We do community service for the school and for the town,” said Oberlin High School student and club president Erika W. “We do a winter donation bin, and an annual thing where we put sticky notes with positive affirmations on everyone’s lockers, and we participate in the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network annual day of silence.” Through the combined efforts of the student-run Queers and Allies Club and their College mentors, the community is sure to see their positive impact both on and off campus. “This year they’re trying to get more into advocacy work around teaching school culture,” College fourth-year and club mentor Emma Williams said. “It’s a priority and interest of theirs that I’m trying to support.”