Affordable Housing Inaccessible in Oberlin

It was good to read the Review’s Sept. 15 editorial  (“Off-Campus Housing Negatively Impacts City Community,” The Oberlin Review, Sept. 15, 2023). The editorial correctly points out that off-campus student housing contributes to issues of housing affordability in the community. Landlords know they can make more money renting homes to students, rather than to single families, and that reduces the supply of affordable rental homes. 

There are, at the same time, other issues that contribute to housing problems in town.  For one, there are numerous unoccupied homes in Oberlin that are available only for short-term rentals using Airbnb. That takes off the market what would otherwise be suitable starter homes — or affordable rental homes — for working families. 

The biggest problem, however, is that Oberlin simply does have enough housing. That’s true at all levels. We need more affordable homes for working families to both own and rent, we need more housing for seniors, and we need more housing for faculty and staff who want to live in town. 

I’m pleased that the City is beginning to make some progress on these issues. In terms of affordable housing, Oberlin City Council has authorized the transfer of several lots to a housing developer who will use federal and state subsidies to create rent-to-own homes for moderate- to lower-income families. In addition, the City has transferred lots to the Oberlin Community Land Trust, which will lead to construction of two affordable homes that follow a land trust model where the occupant owns the home while the trust owns and leases out the land on which it sits. 

I’m especially pleased that surveys of the community for the City’s comprehensive planning and social equity planning processes indicate very clearly that the community wants more housing of all kinds. Our challenge will be to make that happen in ways that are smart and sustainable, ensuring that people at all income levels who want to reside in Oberlin can live comfortably in our town.