Reviving the Spirit of Unity: The Return of Kosher Halal Co-op

Dear Oberlin Community,

We, the alumni of the Kosher Halal Co-op, are thrilled to announce that our beloved co-op is likely to return in Winter Term 2024. This news is not just a victory for us, but for the entire Oberlin community that has always thrived on diversity, inclusivity, and mutual respect. Participants will not only cook and eat in KHC, but also receive Winter Term credit. 

OSCA leadership has stated that final KHC Winter Term approval is pending on total student signups and a final vote by OSCA leadership — so if you’re reading this, we urge you to consider signing up and encouraging OSCA leaders to bring us to the finish line and make the revival possible! 

KHC, a unique blend of Jewish and Muslim dietary traditions, has been a beacon of unity and understanding at Oberlin for decades. It has been a place where students from different backgrounds have come together to share meals, engage in meaningful conversations, and foster a sense of community that transcends religious and cultural boundaries. The temporary closure of KHC was a loss felt deeply by many. However, the hiatus has only strengthened our resolve to bring back this cherished institution with renewed vigor and commitment. We are excited to see KHC once again become a vibrant hub of cultural exchange and mutual learning. 

We encourage all current students, regardless of their religious or cultural affiliations, to consider joining the KHC for Winter Term 2024. In fact, for most of KHC’s history, only about half of co-op members have been Muslim or Jewish, and many members join with no prior knowledge of kosher and halal practices. This Winter Term co-op is not just an opportunity to enjoy delicious, home-cooked meals that adhere to both kosher and halal dietary laws. It is a chance to be part of a unique community that celebrates diversity and promotes understanding. You will learn about other cultures, traditions, and perspectives. You will engage in dialogues that challenge your preconceptions and broaden your worldview. You will form friendships that last a lifetime. The return of KHC is a testament to Oberlin’s commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse community. 

The historical significance of KHC extends beyond the boundaries of Oberlin College. The first and only institution of its kind, not just in Ohio but possibly in the world, KHC is a living, breathing symbol of interfaith harmony and cultural exchange and a beacon of hope in a world often divided by religious and cultural differences. It is a shining example of what can be achieved when we choose to focus on what unites us rather than divides us. The planned return of KHC is not just a victory for those who love it; it is a reaffirmation of the belief that our differences can bring us together, make us stronger, and enrich our lives in ways we never imagined. Particularly in light of the recent tragedies in Israel and Palestine, it is a reminder of the power of Muslim-Jewish solidarity in the face of grief and adversity. It is a celebration of the values that make Oberlin such a special place. 

We are excited to see the KHC family grow and thrive in the coming years. We are confident that the current generation of Oberlin students will carry forward the legacy of KHC with the same passion and commitment that we did. 

So sign up, roll up your sleeves, and get ready to be part of something truly special. The Kosher Halal Co-op is ready to welcome you with open arms.

Helen Kramer, OC ’17 

Hassan Bin Fahim, OC ’18

Elliot Diaz, OC ’23

Julian Hirsch

Rebecca Berenbon

Anna Weiss

Micha Josephy, OC ’98

Hassaan Anis, OC ’12

Rachael Schwartz, OC ’17

Peri Leavitt, OC ’19

Ethan Ableman, OC ’18

Beth Lowe, OC ’98

Amalia Haas, OC ’91

And the alumni of Kosher Halal Co-op