When Oberlin Had a Kosher Pakistani Restaurant

As an unsuspecting international student from Pakistan, landing in Oberlin was a culture shock in more ways than one. Little did I know that my culinary journey would take an unexpected turn, leading me to help cook in the kitchen of what I affectionately dubbed “Oberlin’s Kosher Pakistani Restaurant” — better known as the Kosher-Halal Co-op.

In a delightful collision of cultures, I found myself at the helm of Wednesday night dinners, orchestrating a symphony of flavors with my two best friends: the only other Pakistani on campus my year, and the coolest Jewish girl from New York. Together, we transformed the co-op’s kitchen into a melting pot of aromas, sizzling spices, and hearty laughter.

Picture this: the rich, aromatic chicken karahi bubbling away, infusing the kitchen with a tantalizing blend of tomatoes, ginger, and coriander. It was a dish that transcended borders, bringing together Muslim and Jewish students over a shared love for good food. Our culinary escapades didn’t stop there; we navigated the intricate dance of preparing biryani without crossing the kosher line — a true test of our cooking prowess, given its traditional use of yogurt and chicken.

Then there was the ever popular daal, a comforting lentil dish that became a staple. As we stirred the pot, we also stirred conversations, bridging the gap between our diverse backgrounds. A sprinkle of Tunisian influence, thanks to our friend from Tunisia who helped us out, added an extra layer of global harmony to our menu.

While some nights were culinary triumphs, others were marked by mishaps — like the infamous oven burn incident that left one of our friends with a week of good-natured ribbing. But, through it all, our Wednesday night dinners became a cornerstone of my community at Oberlin.

The co-op wasn’t just a place to savor delicious meals; it was a unique blend of cultures and faiths, welcoming not only Jewish and Muslim students but students from all walks of life. Here, the Quran found its place next to Jewish scriptures, creating a library so eclectic that navigating it became a challenge for the uninitiated.

Let’s not forget the pièce de résistance — the best chocolate milk on the planet. Friends would wake up at ungodly hours just to secure a sip before it vanished into the abyss of demand. It was the stuff of legends, a beverage that brought people together even before sunrise.

Looking back, the Kosher Halal Co-op was more than a dining experience; it was a cross cultural feast that nourished friendships, sparked conversations and, yes, left us with a few oven burns to remember. Oberlin’s Kosher Pakistani Restaurant, a culinary fusion like no other, remains etched in my memory as a testament to the magic that happens when diverse flavors come together in a shared space.

As I reminisce about those unforgettable nights, I encourage students to sign up for the Kosher Halal Co-op Winter Term in 2024. Make memories, forge friendships, and savor the unique blend of cultures that make Oberlin truly special.