Feature Photo: Alvin Rosenfeld Warns of Modern Anti-Semitism in Talk

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by Rick Yu, Photo editor

Photo by Rick Yu, Photo editor

Photo by Rick Yu, Photo editor

Louis Krauss, News Editor

Alvin Rosenfeld, an English and Jewish Studies professor at Indiana University, delivered a talk in Dye Lecture Hall Monday about how anti-Semitism manifests in today’s world. The talk, titled “The Longest Hatred Renewed,” examined various contributors to the issue, such as anti-Zionism, which Rosenfeld said is just a “camouflage term” to hide modern-day anti-Semitism and a way to accept older forms of bigotry.

“It has become the most dangerous form of anti-Semitism in our time. Sometimes accompanied by a radical vision of a world liberated from the Jews, it is a totalist view of anti-Semitism,” Rosenfeld said. “It’s a potent force that shows up in street-level views of anti-Semitism, often by people who claim to have progressive views.”

Rosenfeld also discussed his concerns in regards to certain current Muslim leaders who he said often denounce Jewish people, as well as examples of anti-Semitism from various parts of the world. Around 70 visitors attended the event, including a large number of Kendall residents and several students in Halloween costumes.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Feature Photo: Alvin Rosenfeld Warns of Modern Anti-Semitism in Talk”

1. Mark W Behr on November 4th, 2016 6:55 PM

To the Editor:

Oberlin students attending a talk about modern day anti-Semitism dressed in Halloween costumes? Can that be true? How terribly disrespectful toward the invited guest speaker and the serious topic discussed. The Oberlin community wonders why it is viewed as an embarrassment in progressive liberal arts education. One only needs to read that students dressed in Halloween garb we’re not asked to leave the presentation to understand why the school is receiving such negative national press.

2. News Editors on November 7th, 2016 3:03 PM

To put this in context- It was halloween, and it was being held in the College’s biggest lecture hall, a very public event. Students and non-students listened very respectfully as Rosenfeld explained his fears of anti-Semitism, and were not acting disrespectful in any way. From the looks of it, everyone in costume attended because they were interested in his talk, and many of the older attendees and Rosenfeld appeared to be unbothered or enjoyed seeing some costumes in the crowd.

3. Arafat on November 8th, 2016 6:45 PM

Earlier today the UN passed ten Resolutions against Israel. But why would anyone think for a second that anti-Semitism is on the rise again?

Meanwhile today there were three resolutions passed against all other nations in the world.

But why would anyone think for a second that anti-Semitism is on the rise again and that includes Nigeria, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc.

Please keep all comments respectful and relevant. The Review does not allow comments containing profanity, foul language, personal attacks, hate speech, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are only published at the discretion of a moderator.