Security Notebook

Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018

12:21 p.m. Safety and Security officers, and members of the Oberlin Police Department assisted an unresponsive individual on the second floor of Philips gym. The individual was transported by ambulance to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Friday, Feb. 16, 2018

4:54 p.m. Officers assisted a student who cut their thumb at Tank Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018

3:38 a.m. Officers responded to a complaint of water leaking in a first-floor Firelands apartment. Upon arrival, water was found in the first-floor lobby with fallen ceiling tiles. Water also leaked into a second floor hallway and apartment. The water came from an apartment on the third floor, which was shut off. The Facilities manager on call was notified. Crews were contacted for cleanup and the residents of the affected rooms were relocated.

Sunday, Feb. 18, 2018

1:18 p.m. A student at a College Street Village Housing Unit reported that a portion of the ceiling had collapsed. Maintenance technicians responded and determined a leak in a toilet water inlet had damaged the ceiling. The leak was repaired.

11:09 p.m. A student reported their vehicle was broken into sometime between 10:50 p.m. and 11 p.m. while parked in the Wilder Hall lot. The vehicle was rummaged through and a pair of black JBL headphones were taken from a backpack. The student said the vehicle was locked.

Monday, Feb. 19, 2018

1:03 p.m. A student reported an older male with long gray hair stealing bicycles between Kahn Hall and Stevenson Dining Hall. Officers responded and the individual, who was not a student, was located near Asia House. The Oberlin Police Department was contacted, and the individual was taken into custody.

1:35 p.m. Staff members reported four high school juveniles being loud at the Kohl Building. When asked to leave the building, the juveniles were disrespectful. Officers responded and checked the interior and exterior of the building, but the individuals could not be located.

Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2018

8:20 a.m. Grounds staff reported vandalism at the koi pond at the Conservatory. An ornamental stone was pushed into the pool. There were also branches, broken off a pine tree, that were thrown in the pool. There are no suspects.

9:45 a.m. Grounds staff reported vandalism near Baldwin Cottage. A UPS sticker with non-offensive letters written on it in black was on the dumpster near the handicap ramp. There are no suspects.

1:47 p.m. Residential Life staff reported finding a glass pipe, containing a substance consistent with marijuana residue, in a room in Tank Hall. The item was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

6:44 p.m. A student reported their backpack missing from Mudd library. The backpack was found by Mudd staff on the third floor. A wallet, containing credit cards and miscellaneous items, was missing from the backpack. The theft is under investigation.