Team Veterans Lead Yeomen to Early Success

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer

The Yeomen started their season with two hard-earned victories over Hope College and Concordia University in Michigan. In the first game, sophomore John Ingham scored the first goal of the season off a cross from junior Dylan Tencic, and sophomore Slade Gottlieb quickly followed suit, netting the game-winning goal. Gottlieb wasn’t done for the weekend, though, and tacked on his second goal of the season in game two against Concordia. Senior Joe Graybeal and first-year Adam Chazin-Gray each had a goal in the second victory.

While dominant on the road, the Yeomen soccer team had to settle for a tie in its home opener this past Friday night against the visiting Penn State Erie, The Behrend College Lions. It was a competitive match, with a final score of 2–2 after two sets of overtime and a total of 25 fouls and three yellow cards between the teams.

Senior captain Ari Schwartz said, “I thought we played really well. We executed things that we had been working on at practice and we didn’t stop fighting, which is a huge improvement from years past. Every single person played a large role.”

The Lions netted their first goal off a free kick from 18 yards out in the first five minutes of the half. This was their only goal of the first half, and the two teams remained neck and neck until the 60th minute mark. The Yeomen’s first goal came from Ingham off a free kick from 25 yards out. The Lions quickly responded with a goal off of a penalty kick in the 70th minute. The Yeomen did not give up fighting, and just two minutes later Graybeal scored a beautiful header off a well-executed set piece.

“On any type of set piece you try to put yourself in a position where you can attack the ball. It was a great service from Ingham and the header was more instinctual than anything else,” said Graybeal.

Unfortunately, this goal would be the last for the Yeomen. The team finished the game with a 12–9 advantage in shots and a 6–4 in shots on goal. Senior goalkeeper Brandt Rentel played in the net for all 110 minutes, finishing with four saves.

“In some ways I think we underperformed, but I think the game as a whole was good. This game showed us that we are going to meet tough competition throughout the season, but more importantly that we need to play to our standard of play regardless of the opponent,” said sophomore Remi Schneider.

Graybeal agreed, saying, “Attention to detail is definitely something for us to improve upon, and no matter who we play, we need to concentrate on our game and do the things that will allow us to be successful attacking or defending.”

The Yeomen will look to return to their winning ways while playing at home for the next three games. Their next game is this Saturday, Sept. 14 at 8 p.m., when they play host to Muskingum University.