Senate Working Groups

Student Senate

The Oberlin Transparency Working Group – Chair: Eliza Diop

The Oberlin Transparency Working Group looks to increase transparency between administration, staff, faculty and students in areas of finance, policy, organization and feedback. In light of the recent events of the semester, the Oberlin Transparency Working Group is looking to expand its mission to include more transparency in seeing Administrative progress toward addressing the needs and concerns of students, and changing policies on campus to address them. We look forward to turning the Oberlin Transparency Working Group site into a hub where faculty, staff and administrative steps toward policy changes can be viewed by students, and also a space where students show their progress in facilitating change and give input on policy changes for staff, faculty and administration to see. We welcome all suggestions and now members to the working group so that it may reach its full potential.

If you are interested in learning more about the Oberlin Transparency Working Group or are looking to get involved, e-mail [email protected] , or the Senate E-mail account: [email protected].

The Environmental Sustainability Working Group – Chair: Tani Colbert-Sangree

This semester, the Environmental Sustainability Working Group seeks to coordinate its actions with other student environmental groups on campus. It would like to become more dynamic in its activism and outreach, and so is looking for more students to participate and take leadership positions. In particular, the Carbon Management Fund is seeking environmentally active students to participate and hold leadership positions in future carbon offsetting efforts. Also, the Environmental Sustainability Working Group will be continuing their tree planting events this April, kicking off with a Bonner Center 20th year anniversary tree planting. Later in April, there will be two larger planting dates and the working group is looking for volunteers!

If you are interested in learning more about the Environmental Sustainability Working Group or are looking to get involved, e-mail [email protected] , or the Senate E-mail account: [email protected].

The Public Art Working Group – Chair: Brandt Rentel

The Public Art Working Group was formed in collaboration with the Oberlin City Council with the hope of reflecting the school’s vibrant and unique community on the walls throughout Oberlin town and college. The Public Art Working Group looks to launch art projects in places around Oberlin that attract College students and town members. We see art as a great mechanism to inspire campus and town connections through the collaborative creation of artwork. We hope to install a mural in downtown Oberlin and have been encouraged by an Oberlin student to look into creating permanent murals inside co-ops like Harkness. The Public Art Working Group welcomes new members and new designs!

If you are interested in learning more about the Public Art Working Group or are looking to get involved, e-mail [email protected] , or the Senate E-mail account: [email protected].

The SFC – Senate Working Group – Chair: Charlotte Landes

The SFC-Senate Working Group is a permanent working group in Student Senate and is required by bylaws from both Senate and the SFC. The Working Group serves as a forum for communication between Student Senate and the SFC to discuss budgets, policy changes and future collaborations. The SFC-Senate Working Group is an integral part of effective student government at Oberlin because it creates a space for the two hubs of student government to get together and strategize, communicate and improve. The SFC-Senate WG has been working along with Senate and the SFC to adjust the Article XI Special Funding Mechanism. The proposal to remove Article XI as a funding structure was passed by both the SFC and Senate bodies and now, the SFC is looking to replace the Special Funding Mechanism with a fund that is designed to facilitate larger, capital purchases for student groups on campus. The SFC-Senate Working Group is also working on updating and coordinating the websites of both the Senate and the SFC so that they are more fluid and complementary.

If you are interested in learning more about the SFC-Senate Working Group or are looking to get involved, e-mail [email protected] , or the Senate E-mail account: [email protected].

The Student Health Working Group – Chair: Peter Arden

In cooperation with the Student Health Advisory Committee, the Student Health Working Group is going to be utilizing the Student Health fee to expand health services for students. In addition, it will be looking to engage students in the search for new, full-time employees for the Counseling center. The Student Health Working Group is working on creating an anonymous feedback system to ensure that there is continuing improvement in these departments, as well as remaking their website to make their services for accessible and comprehensive for students. The Working Group is open to ideas and suggestions on ways to improve Student Health and the Counseling Center at Oberlin.

If you are interested in learning more about the Student Health Working Group or are looking to get involved, e-mail [email protected], or the Senate E-mail account: [email protected].

The Real Food Working Group – Chair: Tani Colbert-Sangree

The Real Food Working Group has signed and recently successfully implemented the Real Food Campus Commitment. The goal of the group is to implement a campus food policy and make a multi-year action plan to ensure that 40 percent of Oberlin’s food is verifiably humane, ecologically sound and locally based. This working group was created last fall as a part of the Student Senate to fulfill the commitments outlined in the Real Food Campus Commitment. The commitment was officially signed March 13, 2013 at 4:00 on the steps of Wilder, and the photos from this event are not visible in The Source!

If you are interested in learning more about the The Real Food Working Group or are looking to get involved, e-mail [email protected], or the Senate E-mail account: [email protected].

Committee and Task Force Information

The Judicial Board Committee has appointed five new members this semester. Congratulations to you all!

Senators have all been assigned to their respective committees and those committee assignments can be found on Senate’s website.

Senate has created a Website Task Force that is working toward creating a new student government site that will include a new Senate page and a new SFC page.

In addition, in order to best allocate the funds from the Community Building Fund, Senate will be creating a task force to create programs and collaborate with other student organizations and college departments to put on programs and events.

For information about either of these, e-mail Senate’s account at [email protected]

In other news…

Senators will be Trans and Ally trained in the week following Spring Break.

Senate is creating a new blog for students to view Senate updates and events as well as an updated Senate board in the basement of Wilder.