Former DoS Meredith Raimondo Leaves Oberlin

Associate+Professor+of+Comparative+American+Studies+and+former+Vice+President+and+Dean+of+Students+Meredith+Raimondo+left+Oberlin+in+October+for+a+position+as+Vice+President+for+Student+Affairs+at+Oglethorpe+University.+

Courtesy of Meredith Raimondo

Associate Professor of Comparative American Studies and former Vice President and Dean of Students Meredith Raimondo left Oberlin in October for a position as Vice President for Student Affairs at Oglethorpe University.

Former Dean of Students and Vice President Meredith Raimondo left Oberlin in October to begin her role as vice president for student affairs at Oglethorpe University. Raimondo has been on sabbatical since stepping down from her position at Oberlin in early April, six weeks before she was originally scheduled to leave. When Raimondo left this spring, communication from the College indicated she would take a sabbatical and then return to Oberlin as a professor in the 2022–23 academic year.

However, Raimondo will not be returning to Oberlin next fall. She cited her dedication to building intentional learning communities as the reason behind her decision.

“I am really passionate about doing leadership work in the field of student affairs, because of my interest in cultivating holistic learning environments where students can thrive,” Raimondo wrote in an email to the Review. “As much as I loved the time I spent in the classroom at Oberlin, this is the work I want to spend the rest of my career doing.”

Raimondo began her time at Oberlin as a professor of Comparative American Studies in 2003 and was one of the first tenure-track faculty hired for professorship within the department. Following her time as a professor, Raimondo worked as associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, special assistant to the President for equity, diversity, and inclusion, and Title IX coordinator. Raimondo was named dean of students in November 2016 after serving in the position on an interim basis for several months. During Raimondo’s tenure as dean of students, the College dealt with significant challenges, including a structural budget deficit, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and the Gibson’s Bakery lawsuit — in which Raimondo is a defendant.

“Dr. Raimondo was a much beloved and highly respected teacher who taught queer studies and classes about AIDs and other health epidemics,” said Professor of Comparative American Studies Wendy Kozol. “Her student-centered pedagogy along with her warmth and generosity both in and outside the classroom made her a much sought-after professor. I remember long lines of students waiting to see her during office hours and just about any other time.”

Raimondo says that she’s excited to work at Oglethorpe because of its diverse student community and opportunity to build an equitable and inclusive environment for learning. Still, Raimondo will miss Oberlin.

“Oberlin is a very special place — at its best, the model for what an engaged learning community can be,” Raimondo wrote. “I hope that students will continue to cultivate kindness, gratitude, and dialogue across difference as a part of their passionate commitments to social change — this is the kind of leadership the world desperately needs.”