COVID-19 Update

Oberlin College Updates

Between Feb. 11 and 23, the College administered 2,840 PCR tests and 47 rapid tests. During this time, there were six positive PCR tests, eight positive rapid tests, and two positive self-reported tests.

The College’s Feb. 18 deadline for students, faculty, and staff to submit booster documentation passed last week. Students who have yet to upload proof of their booster shot can reupload their vaccine card to the Student Health Portal, and faculty and staff can upload theirs via a form on Oberview.

ObieSafe reported on Feb. 16 that campus positivity rates were at 0.36 percent. Because of the low rate, the College revised original plans to keep all classes remote during the first week. Students were able to attend in-person classes this week, but all meals are currently grab-and-go.

As of Dec. 18, 98.8 percent of students, 97.1 percent of faculty, and 90.7 percent of staff are fully vaccinated.

Ohio Updates

Ohio’s COVID-19 situation continues to improve in recent months. Between Feb. 11 and Feb. 24, the state recorded 16,490 new cases and 680 hospitalizations. Currently, there are 160.7 cases per 100,000 Ohio residents, which is a significantly lower proportion than a month ago, when Ohio had 2,154.8 per 100,000 residents on Jan. 20.

Over the last six weeks, COVID-19 rates in the state have fallen from record highs caused by the Omicron variant.

While statewide cases are declining, Ohioans are lagging behind in getting booster shots — roughly half of vaccinated Ohioans have had a booster shot. The CDC recommend that all adults receive a booster to complete their vaccination series.

Currently, 61.8 percent of Ohioans have received their first dose of a vaccine and 57.1 percent of residents have completed two doses.