Security Report

Friday, May 13, 2022

5:41 a.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported a centipede in their room. A campus safety officer responded and the centipede was removed. A work order was filed for a room inspection.

8:22 a.m. A faculty member reported that an unknown person had entered their office without permission. Broken chalk was found on the floor, a bottle of water was knocked over, and several other items were moved. The office had been locked when the staff member left for the day on May 12.

Saturday, May 14, 2022

7:17 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at Stevenson Dining Hall in the employee restroom. The smoke detector was found to have been activated by hair spray, and the alarm was reset.

11:36 a.m. A resident of South Hall reported a bat in their room. An officer and maintenance technician responded and the bat was removed from the room.

2:45 p.m. A student reported the loss of their backpack, which contained a laptop, from an unknown location sometime between Friday night and Saturday morning. The student will file a report with the Oberlin Police Department.

7:04 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm in the basement of Talcott Hall. Haze from a discharged fire extinguisher had activated the detector. The alarm was reset, an electrician responded for repairs, and a custodian responded for clean up.

7:04 p.m. Officers responding to a call at Talcott Hall observed fresh graffiti painted on the building’s bricks. A maintenance technician responded, and the paint was removed.

Sunday, May 15, 2022

1:53 a.m. A resident of a Village Housing Unit on Elm Street requested assistance after falling and injuring their knee while exiting the building during a fire alarm activation. First aid was applied by an officer, and the student was transported to Mercy Health – Allen Hospital for additional treatment.

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

4:06 a.m. Custodial staff reported a student sleeping on a couch on the third floor of the Science Center. An officer responded; the student was awakened and advised that they were not permitted in the building after closing.

9:10 a.m. A student reported that they left behind their tote bag in Stevenson Dining Hall and it was missing when they returned. The bag contained a laptop, Apple Airpods, a wallet containing credit and debit cards, and miscellaneous items. The tote was white and had green lettering in Vietnamese. The incident is under investigation and will be reported to the Oberlin Police Department.

9:36 a.m. Staff at Wilder Hall reported that a vehicle had backed into one of the dumpsters in Wilder parking lot and broken some glass on the ground. The vehicle involved was gone upon the officers’ arrival. A work order was filed for clean up of the glass