In The Locker Room: Ben Puterbaugh

The Review recently sat down with senior slugger Ben Puterbaugh to discuss striking out his teammates, Manny being Manny, and pre-game urination rituals.

James Blankenship, Sports Editor

You’re on pace to become the most successful baseball player in Oberlin’s history. Do you ever think about that?

Not really. I think I’ve just been lucky to have the opportunity to play all four years with good people around me. If you’re having fun, you’re successful.

How long have you been playing baseball?

I’ve been playing since I can remember just with my brother and friends, but I didn’t start playing organized baseball until a little later.

Did you play any other sports in high school?

I played football for a year and basketball for two, but I never liked practicing for those sports, so I stuck with baseball.

What other schools recruited you out of high school?

Only smaller schools recruited me. I really wanted to go to the best academic school I could, so it was between Oberlin and Kenyon, and I really just liked the feel at Oberlin a lot more.

Did you do any pitching in high school? If so, how hard could you throw?

I could probably strike out Grady Campion, and definitely most of the guys that are no longer on the team like Andrew Roth, Ben Master and Gideon Sterer.

Did you have any particularly favorite baseball teams or players growing up?

Just Manny Ramirez, who is still playing. I love his style and his laid-back approach. He realizes that baseball is not the most important thing in the world.

Many baseball players have their rituals. For instance, Wade Boggs ate chicken before every game, and Moises Alou urinated on his hands with the same kind of schedule. Has superstition worked its way into your game at all?

I like to eat feta cheese and peppers with a lot of bread and a tall glass of skim milk.

If you had to pick one tangible goal for the team to reach this season, what would it be?

Make the playoffs.