Security Report: Oct. 6- Oct. 12, 2011

Staff

Thursday, Oct. 6

12:10 a.m. A student reported that the passenger window of her vehicle was broken while it was parked in Hales parking lot, and a backpack was taken. The Oberlin Police Department filed a report of the incident.

2:42 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Barrows Hall. Smoke from burnt eggs activated the smoke detector.

7:49 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who accidentally hit her lip with a laptop, causing a laceration. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:36 p.m. Officers responded to a report of students smoking marijuana on the east side of Kahn Hall. The four students were located and identified.

Friday, Oct. 7

12:17 a.m. A resident of Kahn Hall reported the theft of an unattended backpack from the lounge on the third floor. The backpack contained a textbook, a 13-inch Apple laptop and its charger. The Oberlin Police Department also responded and filed a report.

10:12 p.m. Staff reported that a student was hit by a car earlier in the morning. The student was riding a bicycle on West Lorain Street when a car pulled out from Mercy Allen Hospital, striking her and knocking her off the bike. No medical attention was needed at the time of report.

8:38 p.m. A student reported the theft of a messenger-style bag from North Quad while she played Frisbee. The bag contained various identification, credit cards, prescription sunglasses, $5 in cash and a prepaid TracFone.

Saturday, Oct. 8

1:39 a.m. A student requested assistance after being struck in the forehead when another student opened a door. It was recommended the student seek medical attention.

12:11 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Keep Cottage that was activated by burnt food in the oven. The area was cleared, and the alarm was reset.

8:29 p.m. A resident of South Hall reported two individuals going door-to-door selling magazines. Officers responded and made a search of the area, but the individuals were not located.

Sunday, Oct. 9

1:28 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint at a house on North Pleasant Street. Attendees at an unauthorized party were asked to leave, and the party was closed down.

12:42 p.m. Officers were requested at Asia House to assist a person stuck in the bathroom. The deadbolt was unlocked and the door opened.

5:00 p.m. A volunteer at the Allen Memorial Art Museum reported that one of the sandstone blocks of the wall by the fountain had been removed and broken into pieces. A work order was filed for cleanup and repair.

2:30 p.m. A student reported the theft of her bicycle, a mint-green Schwinn, from the bike rack at Kahn Hall. The bicycle was unlocked at the time of theft.

8:25 p.m. A student reported the theft of his bicycle, a black and silver Cannondale with light green shocks, from the northeast bike racks at East Hall. The bike was unlocked at the time of theft.

Tuesday, Oct. 11

10:22 a.m. Staff reported a collision between a car and a bicycle behind Kahn Hall. The brakes on the bicycle failed when attempting to stop, and the bike struck the vehicle, causing a dent to the car’s passenger-side rear door. No one was injured.

Wednesday, Oct. 12

3:50 p.m. Staff conducting life safety inspections requested an officer in Keep Hall. Officers confiscated a blue hookah and a small glass pipe. The items were transported to the Office of Safety and Security.

4:05 p.m. A student reported the theft of his laptop from Severance Hall approximately two weeks ago. The laptop is an Alienware, black with a silver plaque on the bottom, in a Swiss Army case and valued at approximately $2000.

10:44 p.m. Staff conducting life safety inspections in Zechiel Hall confiscated a multicolored glass pipe that was in plain view. The pipe was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

11:38 p.m. Staff conducting life safety inspections in Burton Hall located a multicolored glass pipe and cigarette rolling devices in plain view. The items were confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.