New Bakery Comes to Main Street

Rachel Dan

Oberlin’s new bakery, the Blue Rooster Bakehouse, will open its doors to customers on Saturday, Nov. 15. Owners Wendy and Leo Boes said they are excited to give students and community members a spot to hang out.

Melissa Harris, Editor-in-Chief

The Blue Rooster Bakehouse, which is taking the place of B. McK’s Public House in downtown Oberlin, will open Nov. 15, stocked with cakes, pies, pastries, bagels and other baked goods.

Wendy Boes, who runs the bakery with her husband Leo, said she hoped that her establishment would create a unique niche in the Oberlin community.

“Everything we’re making is really homey and scratch-made — what your grandma’s kitchen would be like,” she said. “I think the fact that you can sit down and hang out really sets us apart.”

Before setting up shop in Oberlin, the couple worked as teachers in their hometown of Fairlawn, a suburb of Akron. Wendy baked throughout much of her career as an early learning educator, and, after working at a bakery for a year, decided that she wanted to open her own bakery.

Wendy and Leo visited Oberlin one weekend and said they felt very optimistic about the town. They found the prospect of college customers and what they defined as the “friendly atmosphere” of the community especially appealing.

“I’ve been running things in my entire working career,” said Wendy. “I ran a school and a bakery for someone else. The difference is that this is ours, which is really cool. We’re excited to work together as a family and bring in our kids, and also to just be part of the community.”

The couple said they felt very supported by the city in establishing the Blue Rooster. The City Council has programs to support the endeavors of small businesses such as the Bakehouse.

“We make our approval processes go very smoothly and quickly, so that when a small business wants to get a sign approved, we can

usually move that process through the planning commission in a month,” said City Manager Eric Norenberg. “We try to be as business-friendly as possible.”

Leading up to the opening, Wendy and Leo have passed out free samples in front of their building. They have also been meeting with other local business owners in order to further settle into the community.

“As far as working with Oberlin’s gone, the city’s been really easy to work with and very inviting. It’s just amazing how supportive the business owners are, and we haven’t even opened yet,” said Leo.