In The Locker Room with Nile Godfrey, Spencer Seabaugh and Ryan Lockman

Bryan Rubin

Men’s basketball first-years Nile Godfrey (left), Spencer Seabaugh and Ryan Lockman

This week, the Review sat down with men’s basketball first-years Ryan Lockman, Spencer Seabaugh and Nile Godfrey to discuss their most memorable basketball moments, NBA comparisons and expectations for the upcoming season.

Interview by Randy Ollie

Where are you from originally?

Ryan Lockman: White Salmon, WA, 265 Northwest Washington Street, 98672.

Spencer Seabaugh: Prairie Village, KS, right outside of Kansas City.

Nile Godfrey: South Orange, NJ.

What was your most memorable basketball moment in high school?

RL: One time when we were playing our rivals on their home court, we started the fourth quarter down 19 points but ended up rallying to win the game.

SS: Definitely a two-way tie between my Elite Eight appearance in the state tournament my senior year, and sophomore year, my team won state. Though I didn’t play much, it was a cool experience, and it’s always good to get a ring.

NG: The state semifinal game my senior year was by far one of the most intense and memorable games that I have played in. It went down to the wire, and it was one of my favorite moments in high school.

Why did you pick Oberlin?

RL: [It was] definitely the best academic school that recruited me; I also got along very well with the team and coaches when I visied. Most importantly, I promised Nate Cohen to continue beating him in FIFA, and I always keep my promises.

SS: Academics were first and foremost for me. Also, Coach McCrory and Coach Cavaco did a great job recruiting me, and when I finally met the team the deal was sealed.

NG: When I visited, the teammates and the coaches seemed like a family, and I was really impressed by the camaraderie and the culture of commitment. Also, academics — Oberlin’s reputation definitely speaks for itself. Few schools can beat an Oberlin education.

Did you play any sports in high school besides basketball?

RL: I played soccer for a few years.

SS: Nah, ball is life.

NG: I played baseball freshman and sophomore year, and then I ran track my junior and senior year.

What NBA player, if any, would you say you model your game after?

RL: I try to model my game after Manu Ginobili. He’s a lefty, too, and he gets to the rim very craftily. Anthony Bennett is also someone whose game I respect. He works really hard even though he doesn’t always get playing time.

SS: J.R. Smith. Whenever I watch him play, he seems like he’s having a great time playing basketball. I can definitely relate to that.

NG: Either Damien Lillard or Russell Westbrook. They both play at a great pace, and they can get to the rim or score whenever they want. They control the tempo of the game, too, which is something that not a lot of players can do.

What are you most looking forward to this season?

RL: I want to see what a college crowd is like. I am very curious to see what collegiate spectators and the general atmosphere is like.

SS: I can’t wait to see how we develop as a team, going on the road and spending time together. Hopefully we end up with the result we want: a championship.

NG: Opening night, playing with the team and seeing how we look against the competition will definitely be interesting. I’m definitely hoping that home games are lit, too. Nothing like playing in front of a good crowd.

What have you liked most about playing at Oberlin so far?

RL: Socially, I’ve had a ball. The team is like a family: The upperclassmen are like my parents, and the other freshmen are like my brothers. I love being around the team and the coaches.

SS: Chilling with the homies. But in all seriousness, in high school, at the end of the day, you always go back to your respective homes. In college, the team is always together. I love hanging out with the guys, working out, playing FIFA and just having a second family away from home.

Give me three songs that you have to listen to before a game.

RL: “Hard in Da Paint” by Waka Flocka [Flame], “Shabba” by A$AP Ferg and “CoCo” by O.T. Genesis.

SS: “Choices” by E-40, “Ante Up” by M.O.B. and “What Do You Want” by A$AP Ferg.

NG: “Dreams and Nightmares (Intro)” by Meek Mill, “Know Yourself” by Drake and “Antidote” by Travis Scott.