Security Report: April 26 to May 1, 2012

Staff

Thursday, April 26

11:30 a.m. Staff reported the equipment room at Jones Field House was broken into. An inventory will be taken to determine if anything is missing.

12:30 p.m. Staff at Wilder Hall reported an individual at the ’Sco who is on the College trespass notice. Officers and the Oberlin Police Department responded. The individual was taken in to custody and charged with trespassing.

Friday, April 27

4:35 p.m. Student reported her bicycle stolen from the west side of the Conservatory. Bicycle is described as a white Free spirit of unknown value. It was locked to itself at the time of theft.

10:48 p.m. Staff reported an odor of a controlled substance at Kahn Hall. Students were located in the stairwell and a strong odor of burnt marijuana was detected. All denied smoking.

Saturday, April 28

12:20 a.m. Officers responded to an unauthorized party with a live band at Keep Cottage. Approximately 300 people were in attendance. The party was shut down with no further problems.

1:12 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint at Goldsmith apartments. Loud music was confirmed, and approximately 40 students were found in the apartment. Students were asked to leave, and the music turned down.

1:25 a.m. Officers responded to an unauthorized party on the third floor of Barrows Hall. Contact was made with occupants and they were advised of the policies on parties and alcohol consumption on campus. Officers disposed of all alcohol.

9:00 a.m. Staff at Cox Administrative Building reported vandalism to the front east door. “No Smoking” was written in orange spray paint. A work order was filed for clean up.

12:58 p.m. A Village Housing on Woodland Street reported that an unknown person threw a beer can through a window. The unopened can, thrown from the outside, shattered two panes of glass. A work order was filed for clean up and repairs. Incident remains under investigation.

1:42 p.m. A student reported the theft of her bicycle, a Trek Mulitrack 7000, gray, women’s, valued at $500, from the east side of Burton Hall. The bicycle is registered and was locked to a railing at the time of theft.

5:45 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith apartment. Smoke from a dirty stove top activated the alarm. Residents were advised not to use the stove until cleaned.

11:28 p.m. An officer working the event at Heisman Field House observed an individual ill from alcohol consumption on the bleachers. The student was transported by ambulance to Mercy Allen Hospital for medical treatment.

11:50 p.m. An officer on patrol observed an individual having trouble walking while leaving an event at Heisman Field House. The student, found to be intoxicated, was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Sunday, April 29

12:00 a.m. An officer working an event at Heisman Field House observed an individual ill from alcohol consumption sitting on the bleachers. Paramedics already on scene accessed the student and he was found to be OK. The student was transported to his home.

12:30 a.m. Officers observed an individual on the north side of the Concession stand with a lighter and a smoking utensil, consistent with a marijuana pipe. The pipe, which “hash” was being smoked from, was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

2:18 a.m. Resident of Langston Hall reported that unknown person(s) broke the window in the women’s bathroom on the first floor. The window appeared to have been broken from the inside. The bathroom was closed until clean up and repair were completed.

2:49 a.m. Staff reported finding drug paraphernalia in Heisman Field House. A glass vial containing a white substance was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

7:45 a.m. An officer on patrol of East Hall, observed ceiling tiles pulled down and broken in half and that the emergency sign on the third floor was pulled down with wires hanging down. An electrician was called for repair.

8:01 a.m. An officer on patrol at East Hall observed a small pipe, with residue consistent with marijuana, on the ground near the west entrance. The pipe was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Monday, April 30

7:50 a.m. An officer on routine patrol in East Hall observed two screens on the ground outside Mahan section. One screen was torn, and the other was missing the plastic tab. A resident of a room on the first floor advised he was having problem with the window and will file a work order.

8:45 a.m. Custodial staff reported several broken chairs outside Burton Hall. Three chairs were broken, and eight chairs were found to be missing. Further investigation to follow.

4:05 p.m. Officers, the Oberlin Fire Department and Oberlin College electricians responded to assist people stuck in the elevator at the fourth floor of Mudd. The elevator door was opened with all OK. The elevator was taken out of service.

Tuesday, May 1

7:15 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a smoke detector alarm at an Elm Street apartment. Smoke from burnt food activated the alarm. The area was cleared, and the alarm reset.