Security Notebook

Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019

4:11 a.m. Campus Safety officers were requested to assist an ill student in East Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:26 a.m. A student reported that their backpack was lost or stolen, possibly from the patio of the Kohl Building. The backpack contained a MacBook laptop, blue Beats headphones, a manuscript, and a blue accordion folder.

4:00 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a Life Safety inspection on the third floor of Talcott Hall. A bagged detector was observed, along with a pipe containing a substance consistent with marijuana. The bag was removed and the pipe was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

4:17 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a Life Safety inspection on the first floor of South Hall. Officers found two bagged smoke detectors, a glass bong, a small container holding a substance consistent with marijuana, a grinder, a brown wooden smoking device, a pipe, a butane lighter, and butane torch. Items were turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Friday, Feb. 22, 2019

10:07 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student at Kahn Hall who had food stuck in their throat. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019

10:55 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a broken window in the third-floor bathroom of South Hall. Custodial staff came to clean up the glass, and a carpenter boarded the window.

1:38 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Village Housing Unit. Smoke from burnt food caused the alarm. The area was cleared of smoke and the alarm was reset.

Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019

9:15 a.m. Grounds staff reported a large limb had broken off a tree and was hanging near the north side of Talcott Hall. Officers responded and assisted in setting up barricades. The Facilities Operations manager was contacted for removal and cleanup.

9:56 a.m. Officers responded to a report that a large pine tree had fallen down between the Carnegie Building and Stevenson Dining Hall. Barricades were put in place until the tree could be removed.

10:50 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student in Langston Hall who cut themself on glass from a broken window. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:59 a.m. A student reported that their belongings were stolen from a party at a Village Housing Unit. The items taken were a coat, a wallet, and numerous cards.

1:06 p.m. Officers responded to a report that a gutter had fallen down on the north side of Baldwin Cottage. The area was barricaded with caution tape, and a work order was filed for repair.

1:00 p.m. An officer on patrol observed that a pine tree had fallen and was lying next to the Johnson House driveway. While waiting for the grounds crew to respond, two more pine trees fell in the same area.

2:25 p.m. A student reported the theft of their jacket from a party on Professor Street. There was approximately $10 in cash in the pocket.

Monday, Feb. 25, 2019

7:58 p.m. A student reported that items were taken from their backpack, which was left unattended for a short period in a Robertson Hall practice room. A wallet and approximately $50 in cash were missing. The wallet was located a short time later, but the cash was no longer there.

Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019

8:30 p.m. A student reported the theft of three Xbox controllers from a lounge on the second floor of Dascomb Hall.

8:57 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student at Dascomb Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.