Security Report: May 2 – May 7, 2013

Staff

Thursday, May 2 

7:27 p.m. A student requested assistance in lighting the pilot light on the stove in the Harkness House kitchen. A member of the Facilities Operation staff responded and reported that there had been a small fire that caused no damage and did not cause the alarm to sound. The alarm company was contacted and repaired the alarm.

8:58 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a visitor who was ill just outside of the Goldsmith apartments. An ambulance was called, and the individual was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Friday, May 3 

8:44 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who fell off his bicycle near the northeast corner of the Science Center. He was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment of a foot injury.

10:27 a.m. A student reported the theft of his green men’s Schwinn Varsity bicycle from the Harkness House bike rack. The bicycle was locked to itself and was not registered.

3:08 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an injured staff member in Wilder Bowl. The employee was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment of an arm injury.

Saturday, May 4 

12:10 a.m. An officer who was locking up Mudd Library for the night found an unattended book bag on A-level. The book bag was transported to the Security Office, and the owner was notified.

Sunday, May 5 

12:34 a.m. An officer on patrol observed three male individuals picking up bicycles and throwing them on the south side of Zechiel House. Upon seeing the officer, the individuals fled southwest before running toward the North Quad area. A search of the area was made, but the individuals were not found. Two bicycles were damaged.

3:07 a.m. Officers responded to Kahn Hall after a resident reported that a fire extinguisher had been discharged in the lobby. The incident is under investigation.

3:35 a.m. An officer reported that an unknown person had discharged a fire extinguisher in the receiving dock area of East Hall. The incident is under investigation.

5:28 a.m. An officer observed three individuals outside of a vehicle in Philips gym parking lot. When observed by officers, the individuals got into the vehicle and left the parking lot. The Oberlin Police Department was notified and stopped the vehicle on Lorain Street.

11 a.m. An officer observed damage to a light pole outside of Burton Hall. Also, three newly planted trees were also pulled out of the ground. Two of the trees were near Zechiel House, and one was near Noah Hall. The Grounds Manager was notified.

7:34 p.m. A student reported an unattended fire in the Arboretum, north of Plum Creek.  Officers responded, and the fire was extinguished. No one was observed in the area.

8:40 p.m. The Village Housing maintenance technician reported a broken window on a Woodland Street unit. Officers made contact with a resident, who said that it was broken last week when a friend leaned against the window while sitting in a chair. The broken pieces of glass were removed.

Monday, May 6

1:44 p.m. A student reported that her blue women’s Schwinn bicycle, valued at approximately $100, was stolen from Prospect Elementary School while she was participating in the parade. A report was also filed with the Oberlin Police Department.

Tuesday, May 7

8:43 a.m. Officers responded to a report of non-offensive graffiti on a bathroom stall door on the second floor of Langston Hall. A work order was filed for clean up.