Security Notebook

Thursday, March 7, 2019

12:09 a.m. Campus Safety officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Barrows Hall. Officers noted an odor of burnt marijuana and a slight haze near a room on the third floor. The alarm was reset.

11:22 a.m. A student reported their bicycle was stolen from the Woodland Street parking lot. The bicycle was locked to a pole at the time of the theft.

1:15 p.m. Custodial staff reported several instances of vandalism on the second and third floors of South Hall. Exit signs were damaged, kitchen countertops had been carved with sharp objects, and various areas were graffitied. A work order was filed for repair and cleanup.

3:32 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who had passed out in the Science Center. Upon arrival, the student was conscious and alert. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Friday, March 8, 2019

8:41 p.m. An officer on routine patrol observed a section of wooden fencing on the ground in the Stevenson Dining Hall parking lot. A work order was filed for repair.

Saturday, March 9, 2019

1:26 a.m. A student reported that the door to the attic in Barrows Hall was open. Several people were in the room with alcohol and the smoke detectors were covered with plastic bags. The bags were removed, the alcohol was confiscated and disposed of, and the attic was secured.

10:15 p.m. Officers responded to a smoking complaint in East Hall. Contact was made with the occupant of the room in question, and the occupant admitted to smoking inside the room.

11:35 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Willard Court Village Housing Unit. An electrician responded to and the smoke detector was repaired and reset.

Monday, March 11, 2019

12:13 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in Burton Hall. Burnt wax paper in the microwave generated smoke, which activated the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

2:45 p.m. An officer walking on the south side of the Kohl Building observed graffiti on an aluminum sign. The text could not be read, and a work order was filed for cleanup.

10:05 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Dascomb Hall. Smoke from cooking triggered the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

7:25 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with an individual causing a minor disturbance at Wilder Hall in DeCafé. The individual in question was located and escorted from the building.