Security Notebook

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Friday, Oct. 25, 2019

9:37 a.m. Campus Safety Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of Barrows Hall. Burnt food had activated the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm reset.

2:57 p.m. Staff reported a strange odor at Burrell-King House. Officers and an HVAC technician responded, and the house was evacuated. It was determined that carbon monoxide gas was coming from the hot water heater and boiler area. The boiler and water heater were shut off for repairs, and the house was aired out. Space heaters were provided while the boiler was out of service.

9:25 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student at Old Barrows who experienced symptoms after consuming drugs. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:14 p.m. Officers, members of the Oberlin Fire Department, and an electrician responded to a report of a staff member stuck in the elevator at South Hall. The individual was assisted from the elevator unharmed.

Sunday, Oct. 27, 2019

8:48 p.m. An officer and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street Housing Unit. The cause of the alarm was burnt food. Smoke was cleared, and the alarm was reset.

Monday, Oct. 28, 2019

2:00 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a Life Safety inspection on the first floor of Price House. Observed in plain view was a bagged smoke detector, a multicolor glass pipe, and a small bag containing a substance consistent with marijuana. The bag over the smoke detector was removed by an electrician; the pipe and the substance were turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

3:46 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a Life Safety inspection on the third floor of Langston Hall. Observed in plain view was a glass pipe containing a residue similar to marijuana. The pipe was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

11:18 p.m. An officer on routine patrol observed two panes of glass missing from the east exterior doors of Baldwin Cottage. There was no one in the area, and the panes were covered with cardboard and duct tape. A work order was filed for repair.

Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019

11:45 a.m. Officers and members of the Carlisle Township Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the Asia House kitchen. The alarm, which had been activated by smoke from cooking, was reset with no further issues.

6:55 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at an Elm Street Village Housing Unit. Smoke from hot cooking oil activated the alarm; there was no fire. The area was cleared, and the alarm was reset.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email