Security Notebook

Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019

1:23 p.m. Campus Safety officers were requested to assist a student in Barrows Hall who was having trouble breathing. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

10:43 p.m. Officers responded to a complaint of cigarette smoke odor on the second floor of Barrows Hall. The room in question could not be located as the smoke had dissipated.

11:54 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a strong marijuana odor on the first floor of East Hall. Contact was made with the occupants of the room in question, who admitted to smoking marijuana. A glass pipe was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department. Officers removed bags from two smoke detectors. The occupants were advised of the Oberlin College smoking policy.

Friday, Nov. 15, 2019

4:35 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with an employee who cut their finger in the Stevenson Dining Hall kitchen. The employee was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019

2:25 a.m. An officer on a routine check of Wilder Hall after an event observed an individual lying on a beanbag on the main floor. The individual was woken up, and an odor of alcohol was detected. The student was identified, answered several questions, and was able to walk on their own. The student was transported back to their residence.

11:45 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with shutting down an authorized party that got out of control at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. Attendees were asked to leave and complied.

Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019

12:04 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the first-floor stairwell of the Kohl Building. Upon entering the building a strong odor of smoke was detected. Officers and firefighters located a newspaper that was burned in a trash can on the third floor and ashes on the floor in the surrounding area. The incident is under investigation.

12:59 p.m. Facilities staff reported graffiti on the east wall of Mudd Center. An officer responded and observed black spray-painted graffiti on the southernmost end of the east wall. A work order was filed for its removal.

9:57 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a report of a natural gas odor at Zechiel House. The dorm was checked, but no odor could be detected.

Monday, Nov. 18, 2019

2:07 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student with back pain from Student Health to the Mercy Allen Hospital emergency room. Officers provided transportation for the student.

2:46 p.m. A resident of an East Lorain Street Village House reported the theft of a speaker from their house. The speaker was last seen during Parents and Family Weekend. The speaker is large, black in color, and worth approximately $185.

3:00 p.m. A student reported the theft of their backpack from a practice room on the second floor of the Kohl Building. The backpack was blue with a brown bottom and contained a computer charger, a small guitar amplifier, pens, and pencils.

Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019

9:03 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with an ill worker at Stevenson Dining Hall. An ambulance was contacted and the individual was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

4:01 p.m. A student reported they were approached by a suspicious individual, once at 2:30 a.m. in the area north of Wilder Hall and then again between 3:00 and 3:30 p.m. in Wilder DeCafé. The individual said something unclear to the student and the student left the area.