Security Notebook

Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020

7:25 p.m. Campus Safety officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Asia House. Smoke from burnt cheese had activated the alarm. The area was cleared, and the alarm was reset.

Friday, Feb. 21, 2020

7:02 a.m. A Campus Dining supervisor reported damage to the refrigerator in the McGregor Skybar. It is unknown whether anything was taken. The incident is under investigation.

11:19 a.m. An officer, while taking a report at South Hall, observed graffiti written in blue marker on the walls of the elevator. Custodial staff also reported graffiti on a second-floor door that leads to the roof. A work order was filed for removal.

Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020

3:15 p.m. A student reported the theft of their wallet from their jacket pocket while attending a party on South Professor Street. The student received a notice that three attempts to use the debit card were made. The student filed a report at the Oberlin Police Department.

Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020

12:23 a.m. An officer locking doors to the Conservatory discovered that an unknown person(s) ransacked the McGregor Skybar. Numerous condiments and hot chocolate packets were scattered on the floor, carpet, and stairs. The incident is under investigation.

1:30 a.m. A student reported a bat in their room at a North Main Street Village Housing Unit. A maintenance technician responded. The bat was removed.

1:36 a.m. Officers were requested to assist a student, ill from alcohol consumption, on the first floor of Langston Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

8:22 p.m. A resident of the Firelands Apartments reported a strong fishy odor in the lobby of the building. Officers responded and confirmed the odor. Upon checking further, officers located what appeared to be a blood-like substance in the elevator. The area was professionally cleaned.

Monday, Feb. 24, 2020

5:58 a.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported their cat missing from their room. Officers responded and checked the building. The cat was located on the third floor and returned to the owner.

4:20 p.m. Officers were requested at South Hall regarding a Life Safety violation. A black skull bong, a blue glass smoking pipe, a wood smoking pipe, and a pill bottle containing a substance consistent with marijuana were found in the room. Items were turned over to the Oberlin Police Department for disposal.

4:28 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a Life Safety inspection at Fairchild House. Three knives, a sheath, and a leather strap were located. The items were confiscated and have been placed in the Campus Safety property room until the end of the school year.

Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020

7:26 a.m. Custodial staff reported graffiti on a vending machine in the Conservatory. The non-offensive graffiti was written in blue marker. A work order was filed by custodial staff for removal.