Security Notebook

Thursday, March 5, 2020

12:49 a.m. Campus Safety officers and the Oberlin Police Department responded to a call for assistance at Barrows Hall. Upon arrival, officers located a student ill from alcohol consumption. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

9:28 a.m. Allen Memorial Art Museum security staff reported a semi-truck stuck in the mud on Willard Court across from the dock drive. A tow truck was called for removal of the semi. Facilities staff were notified.

4:30 p.m. A student reported the possible theft of their coat and wallet from the ’Sco. The coat is a black L.L.Bean coat. The wallet is blue in color and contained approximately $60 in cash and miscellaneous cards and items. The area was checked, but the items were not located.

Friday, March 6, 2020

12:26 a.m. A staff member reported a suspicious male individual outside of Mudd Center asking for money. The individual was last seen riding a bicycle toward Wilder Hall. Officers responded, and the individual was last seen riding east on Lorain Street.

1:27 p.m. Officers responded to a motor vehicle accident that took place on College Street by the Rice Hall parking lot. No injuries were reported, and the vehicles involved sustained minor damage. The Oberlin Police Department responded.

9:37 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of East Hall. Burnt popcorn caused the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

Saturday, March 7, 2020

11:15 p.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of Asia House. The alarm was activated by smoke from cooking. While checking the activated detector, firefighters reported marijuana and paraphernalia in plain view. Items were confiscated and picked up by the Oberlin Police Department for disposal.

Sunday, March 8, 2020

5:25 a.m. Officers transported an ill student from a South Professor Street address to Mercy Allen Hospital upon request.

4:20 p.m. An Allen Memorial Art Museum security officer observed graffiti on the east exterior wall of the Ellen Johnson Gallery. The letters were either scratched in the wall or written with pen.

Monday, March 9, 2020

2:15 a.m. Officers were advised of a trash can fire outside near the Burton Hall parking lot. The fire was extinguished by officers. A work order was filed to replace the trash can.

11:17 p.m. An officer on patrol observed graffiti on a sewer lid in the area between the Carnegie Building and Bosworth Hall. The letters were written in a white substance. A work order was filed for removal.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020

11:26 a.m. A grounds manager reported property damage at a Village Housing Unit on Cedar Street. Unknown people had turfed the lawn. The estimated cost of the damage is unknown.

4:15 p.m. A student reported the theft of their wallet from the Biggs Commons area in Stevenson Dining Hall. The wallet is Vera Bradley brand, has an estimated value of $30, and contained various cards, a driver’s license, and a health card. A check of the area was made, but the wallet was not located.