Security Notebook

Saturday, Oct. 3, 2020

2:10 p.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from the bike rack outside of East Hall around Sept. 11. The bicycle is a pink Mongoose with 30” mountain bike tires, a black bike seat with white and purple lining, and a broken right handlebar. The bicycle was not registered with the College and was not locked at the time of theft.

Sunday, Oct. 4, 2020

4:02 a.m. A Campus Safety officer on a routine patrol observed a fort-like structure built around the fire escape at Johnson House on the west side of the building. A work order was filed for removal of the structure.

Monday, Oct. 5, 2020 

2:06 a.m. An officer on patrol of Talcott Hall observed several four-by-four wooden beams with steel rods in them near the basement. A work order was filed for removal. 

Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2020

8:44 p.m. A student requested a transport from Burton Hall to the emergency room as they were experiencing some medical issues. An officer responded and completed the transport.

Thursday, Oct. 8, 2020

5:29 a.m. Officers went to Burton Hall to assist a student experiencing a medical issue. The student was transported to the emergency room for treatment.

Friday, Oct. 9, 2020

3:37 p.m. An officer on patrol observed graffiti in the driveway and on the side of a garbage can on the west side of the Science Center. The graffiti appeared to be drawn with white or pink chalk. A work order was filed for removal.

6:55 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street apartment. They found the alarm to have been caused by smoke from cooking. There was no flame. The stove fan was on and windows were open. Officers silenced and reset the alarm.

Saturday, Oct. 10, 2020

5:54 p.m. A student reported their bicycle missing from the bike rack on the north side of Fairchild House. The bike is described as blue in color, with two black water bottle holders and a reflective sticker, valued at $700.00. It is unknown whether the bike was locked at the time of theft, and it was not registered.

11:06 p.m. Oberlin Police Department reported that it received a complaint of students in the Arboretum. Students were located at the sandstone stand off of Morgan Street and were asked to leave the area. Additional students were observed walking out of the Arboretum. A work order was filed for removal of a tree that had fallen blocking the entrance to the Arboretum off of Professor Street.

11:26 p.m. Officers responded to a report of students not wearing masks or social distancing in a room on the first floor of Dascomb Hall. An officer met with the room’s resident who said that they, along with others in the room, were not aware of the policy. An officer also observed two bottles of alcohol and an empty box of Miller Lite beer in plain view. The alcohol was confiscated and disposed of. 

Monday, Oct. 12, 2020

12:41 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm on the first floor of South Hall. The cause of the alarm was cooking. The alarm was silenced and reset with no problem. A work order was filed to check the exhaust hood.