Security Notebook

Friday, Oct. 23, 2020

10:21 a.m. Grounds staff reported damage to the gate at the northside drive entrance of Bailey Field. It appeared the gate had been struck by a vehicle. Hinges on both gateposts were bent and marked with green paint. A work order was filed for repair.

Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020

12:00 a.m. Campus Safety officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at Wilder Hall. Workers in the area were cleaning and accidentally hit the detector. The alarm was silenced and reset.

11:16 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. The cause of the alarm was smoke from cooking. Windows were opened for ventilation, and the alarm was silenced and reset. 

3:22 p.m. A faculty member reported that a student was accidentally struck on the nose during a performance rehearsal the previous night. An ice pack was applied, and no additional medical treatment was required at the time.

3:30 p.m. A faculty member reported that a student was cut on the finger when they broke a wine glass during an opera rehearsal the previous night. After cleaning, a bandage was applied to the area, and the bleeding stopped.

Monday, Oct. 26, 2020

12:00 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a vehicle shattering its back window after backing into the dumpster in the Wilder Hall parking lot. A work order was filed for glass cleanup.

2:55 p.m. An officer assisted a student who accidentally cut their finger on a razor blade. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

6:15 p.m. A student reported a suspicious person who followed them from the west side of Kahn Hall, south on North Professor Street, and west on Lorain Street. The individual stopped following them when the student crossed the street to Wilder Hall. Officers obtained a description and checked the area, though they were unable to locate the individual.

Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020 

3:16 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student at Dascomb Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital, treated, and released. The student was transported back to Dascomb Hall. 

11:08 p.m. An officer on a routine building check on the first floor of Talcott Hall observed an overflowing trash receptacle near the east exit door. Food had been dumped on the floor, causing an odor. The Facilities manager on call was notified for cleanup.

Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2020

3:21 a.m. Facilities staff reported that they found the northeast pool doors at Philips gym propped open with a wood wedge. Staff informed them that it is a safety issue and causes a temperature change in the pool area. The manager was notified of the issue.