Security Notebook

Friday, Feb. 19, 2021

7:30 a.m. A Campus Safety officer conducting routine building checks noticed damage to a bench outside the west entrance of the Science Center. The bench appeared to have been broken off of a support post. The officer filed a work order.

Saturday, Feb. 20, 2021

3:08 a.m. A report was received of a student who had been ill on the second floor of East Hall. Officers responded and made contact with the student, who said that they believed they had food poisoning. The student returned to their room and cleanup was requested.

11:25 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with an ill student in the dining hall at Harkness House. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for evaluation.

12:07 p.m. A resident of Lord-Saunders reported water spots on the ceiling of the first-floor hallway. Officers and maintenance technicians responded and found water dripping from a hose in a second-floor custodial closet. Water was also dripping from the smoke detector in the area. The detector was cleaned and a work order was filed to check the detector. 

9:01 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm that had been activated by smoke from cooking at a Village House on Elm Street. Officers cleared the area and reset the alarm with no further problems. 

Sunday, Feb. 21, 2021

3:51 a.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported a student passed out in a first-floor bathroom. Officers responded and located the individual, who was conscious and answered all their questions. Officers determined that the student was ill from alcohol consumption. The student returned to their room for the night. 

8:30 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm on the third floor of South Hall. When checking rooms on the third floor, officers located a ruptured pipe connected to the radiator. An HVAC technician also responded to turn off the water. Facilities staff were contacted to send an electrician and staff for water clean-up. Officers reset the alarm.

Monday, Feb. 22, 2021

9:40 A student reported slipping on ice on the north steps of the main entrance to South Hall. The student said they fell on their knee and declined medical treatment at that time.

Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021

1:58 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm activated by cooking at a Village House on Elm Street. Officers cleared the area and reset the alarm.

Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2021

8:49 p.m. A student reported a bat flying around the second floor of Talcott Hall. An officer and maintenance technicians responded. The bat was contained and released outside.