Security Notebook

Thursday, March 25, 2021

4:30 p.m. A student reported lost house and car keys, possibly in the area of West Lorain Street, and filed a property card.

Friday, March 26, 2021

8:58 a.m. Campus Safety Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at Noah Hall. The cause of the alarm was a malfunctioning smoke detector. Repairs were made and the alarm was reset.

12:22 p.m. A student reported the theft of their red Diamondback mountain bike from the bike rack outside of Tank Hall two weeks ago. The front brakes had been replaced and do not match the rear brakes. The value of the bicycle is unknown.

3:52 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student at the Firelands Apartments. The student declined an ambulance and said they would go on their own to the emergency room. Officers advised the student to contact the Campus Safety Office if further assistance was needed.

7:36 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who was injured while riding a skateboard. The student was transported to the Mercy Allen Hospital emergency room for treatment.

Saturday, March 27, 2021

8:04 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student who had been stung by a wasp at a Village Housing Unit on Cedar Street. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment. The Facilities Operations department was contacted to check the house for wasps.

Sunday, March 28, 2021

1:20 a.m. An officer on patrol was approached by a local resident who reported several people dancing on Clark Bandstand in Tappan Square. As the officer approached the area, approximately 20 to 30 individuals picked up their coats and alcohol and began running southward.  

8:02 a.m. Staff from the Cox Administration Building reported disrespectful writing painted on the rock next to the Memorial Arch in Tappan Square. The Facilities Operations manager on call was contacted and sent someone to paint over the writing.

Monday, March 29, 2021

1:22 p.m. Staff reported that they located a blowtorch in plain view while conducting a Life Safety Inspection at a Village Housing Unit on North Professor Street. An officer responded, confiscated the torch, and placed it in the Campus Safety property room until the end of the semester.

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

3:53 p.m. Residential Education staff reported that they located drug paraphernalia in plain view on a coffee table while conducting a Life Safety Inspection at a Village Housing Unit on West Lorain Street. They confiscated the glass pipe and turned it over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Friday, April 2, 2021

9:05 p.m. A resident of a North Cedar Street Village Housing Unit reported a beeping noise coming from the basement. Officers and Maintenance Technicians responded and determined the noise was coming from the carbon monoxide detector. The Oberlin Fire Department also responded, and the house was evacuated. Students were provided with temporary housing until repairs were made.

Saturday, April 3, 2021

11:28 p.m. A student reported someone on the roof of Tank Hall above the porch. An officer responded and made contact with one student. The officer advised the student of the safety issues. A work order was filed to replace the screen.

Sunday, April 4, 2021

2:28 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm activation at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. Smoke from cooking activated the alarm; there was no fire. The alarm was silenced and reset. 

6:45 p.m. Officer observed two students on the roof of Dascomb Hall and two additional students standing near the ladder leading to the roof. The students were instructed to come down and were advised that they were not permitted to be on the roof because of the danger. The students were identified and left the area.

Monday, April 5, 2021

3:31 p.m. A student reported the theft of their locked bicycle from outside of Firelands Apartments. The bike is a black Trek bike with fenders over the front and back tires. The bike is not registered and its value is unknown.

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

2:19 p.m. Staff in Peters Hall reported the theft of various office supplies from a supply cabinet in an office on the second floor. The value of the missing items is unknown.

Wednesday, April 7, 2021

10:06 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm activated by smoke from cooking without the exhaust fan on at an Elm Street Village Housing Unit. The area was cleared and alarm reset.

12:46 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm activated by a faulty detector on the third floor of Langston Hall. The detector was replaced, and the alarm was reset with no further problems.