Security Notebook

Thursday, April 8, 2021

3:08 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with paraphernalia located in plain view during a Life Safety Inspection at Dascomb Hall. A black grinder, containing what appeared to be marijuana, was confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

4:24 p.m. Campus Safety officers were requested to assist with paraphernalia found during a Life Safety Inspection at South Hall. Officers confiscated a multicolored grinder, containing what appeared to be marijuana, and a pack of rolling papers, which they turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

11:33 p.m. Officers assisted ambulance paramedics who were responding to an ill student at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Friday, April 9, 2021

2:20 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with paraphernalia located in plain view during a Life Safety Inspection at a Village Housing Unit on West College Street. A red pipe and black grinder, containing a substance consistent with marijuana, were confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

4:46 p.m. Kitchen staff at Umami reported that the deep fryer had begun smoking and then caught fire. The gas was immediately shut off and the fire was extinguished. The fryer was placed out of service.

Saturday, April 10, 2021

1:08 a.m. Officers transported a student from Mercy Allen Hospital to Asia House.  

1:50 a.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student at Langston Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment and later discharged.

2:50 p.m. Officers and an ambulance responded to Saunders House to assist a student experiencing severe abdominal pain. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

11:32 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student ill from alcohol consumption at Langston Hall.  The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Sunday, April 11, 2021

9:41 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student on the first floor of Burton Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

Sunday, April 18, 2021

8:20 a.m. A recovered wallet was turned in to the Campus Safety Office. Officers notified the wallet’s owner, who picked it up and confirmed that all items were accounted for.

4:06 p.m. Officers responded to a report of three juveniles throwing items off the landing at Bert and Judy’s Garden at the Kohl Building. The juveniles were located and warned about their actions. All apologized and left the area.

5:24 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. There was no smoke or fire observed. The alarm was silenced and reset. An electrician responded to check the detector.

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

2:44 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student at Noah Hall. An ambulance was requested, and the student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

3:51 p.m. Officers transported a student who had been treated at Mercy Allen Hospital to CVS and then to their dorm. 

Wednesday, April 21, 2020

12:53 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at South Hall. Upon entry, a strong odor consistent with burnt marijuana was detected. No illegal substances or paraphernalia were observed in plain view, and all areas were checked and found to be okay. Alarms were silenced and reset.

8:50 a.m. Grounds staff reported tree limbs on top of a vehicle in the Noah Hall parking lot.

The owner was contacted, limbs were removed, and the owner observed no damage to the vehicle.