What You Missed: Winter Term Recap

Sarah Orbuch, Staff Writer

Swimming and Diving:

Women: The Yeowomen went 3–2 this Winter Term, with major victories against John Carroll University, Ohio Wesleyan University and Notre Dame College. In both meets, the underclassmen showed their competitors that they were not to be overlooked. Against John Carroll, sophomore Ellen Drake started the night strong with a first-place finish in the 1,650-yard freestyle. In both the 100-yard butterfly and the 100-yard backstroke, the Yeowomen went one- two-three to solidify the win. Sophomore diver Adrian Ziaggi also won the one-meter dive to wrap up an excellent night for the Yeowomen. The first-years continued their winning style against Notre Dame and Ohio Wesleyan in their final home meet. The first-year squads placed first and second in the 200-yard medley relay. The Yeowomen ended their final meet with a victory thanks to incredible performances by sophomores Simone Christen and Sydney Spiro. The Yeowomen continue the action at the North Coast Athletic Conference championships Feb. 13–16, in hopes of sending individual swimmers to the NCAA championships in March.

Men: Similar to the Yeowomen, the Yeomen underclassmen yielded great results. In their meet against John Carroll University, the Yeomen outscored JCU 143–86. A team of first- years and sophomore Jack Redell placed first in the 200-yard medley, while sophomore Chris Ayoub placed first in the 1,650-yard freestyle. The Yeomen went one-two in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard butterfly. First- year Marshall Waller took first in both events. The divers also had impressive performances, sweeping the podium in the one-meter and three-meter dive. Sophomore Chris McLauchlan took first in both events.

The Yeomen ended the break with a third- place finish in their final home meet against Ohio Wesleyan University and Notre Dame College. The Yeomen won the first event of the day, the 200-yard medley relay, and went on to win the 100-yard backstroke. The Yeomen divers went one-two in the one-meter and three-meter dives, with impressive first-place finishes by McLauchlan. The Yeomen will also conclude their season at the NCAC championships next week.

Track and Field:

Women: The Yeowomen kicked off the break with the Oberlin College Invite. Senior Jasmine Owens took first in both the 200-meter dash and the long jump. Junior Katrina Gelwick had a first-place finish in the 500-meter dash and was a member of the impressive first place 4×400-meter relay team. In their next meet the Yeowomen tied the College of Wooster with a 3,000-meter first-place finish by junior Molly Martorella. Owens also had two personal bests and three first-place finishes in the long jump, triple jump and the 4×200-meter relay. First-year Caitlyn Grubb finished the meet with a strong, first-place performance in the shot put and weight throw. In the team’s most recent meet, the University of Findlay open, Martorella had another great race, winning the one-mile run with a time of 5 minutes, 0.2 seconds. The Yeowomen are back in action this weekend against Baldwin Wallace University, while select runners compete in the All-Ohio Championships.

Men: The Yeomen also had impressive finishes at the Oberlin College Invite. Seniors Terrance Embry and Daniel Johnson won the 500-meter dash and the one-mile, respectively. Junior Jimmy Taylor took first in the 1,000-meter run while sophomore Evan Finch placed first in the 60-meter hurdles and triple jump. The Yeomen ended the night in style, with first-place finishes in the 4×200 and 4×400-meter relays. In their next meet against the College of Wooster Scots, the Yeomen defeated the Scots with four first-place finishes by senior Alex Guo. Guo won the triple jump, the long jump and the 60-meter dash and was a part of the 4×200-meter relay team. First-year Jerry Choi won the 300-meter dash, and Taylor took first in the 1,000-meter for the second week in a row. Sophomore Conor Narovec won both the shot put and the weight throw to end the meet winning 87–67. The Yeomen and Yeowomen next compete against Baldwin Wallace University, with a handful of runners participating in the All-Ohio Championships.

Basketball:

Women: The Yeowomen had a difficult Winter Term plagued with injuries and illness, yet they still played competitive basketball and notched an impressive win over the College of Wooster in which junior Malisa Hoak led the Yeowomen with a career-high 28 points. Sophomore Christina Marquette added 14 points and 16 rebounds, while Senior Ellen Neumann had nine points and 10 rebounds. In their most recent game, the Yeowomen lost to Ohio Wesleyan University, 60–50. Marquette had a game-high 17 points and Neumann matched her career-high with 15 points. Marquette leads the team with a colossal 413 points and an average of 18.8 points per game. Junior Lillian Jahan leads the team in free throw percentage with .756, making 31 of 41 attempted free throws. The Yeowomen end their season with a home game on Wednesday, Feb. 13, against Denison University.

Men: The Yeomen also struggled throughout Winter Term, dropping tough games against Kenyon College and Wittenberg University while defeating Allegheny College at the end of the break. In their win, junior Geoff Simpson led with 19 points while sophomore Austin Little added 17 points. First-year Randy Ollie had his first career double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. The Yeomen ended the half 32–18, with a 14-point lead. The second half proved more difficult than the first, but the Yeomen held on to the lead and ended with a 67–59 win. Simpson and senior Andrew Fox lead the Yeomen in points with 295 and 236 respectively. Fox also leads the team in rebounds with 208 on the season and a 9.9 rebound per game average. The Yeomen’s last home game is Feb. 13 against Hiram College, and the season finale is on Feb. 16 at Wabash College.