Security Notebook

Thursday, June 3, 2021

9:20 a.m. Campus Safety officers were requested at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit to assist with a Life Safety inspection. In plain view on a coffee table was a large glass pipe and a purple grinder containing marijuana residue. The items were collected and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

2:02 p.m. Officers, Oberlin Fire Department, and an Oberlin College electrician responded to a fire alarm in the basement of Mudd Center. The alarm was activated by construction. A reset was completed.

8:43 p.m. Officers, Oberlin Fire Department members, and an Oberlin College electrician responded to a fire alarm at a Village Housing Unit on Cedar Street. The cause of the alarm was steam from a shower.

Friday, June 4, 2021

3:30 a.m. Oberlin Police Department members requested assistance from officers with an intoxicated student whose vehicle was being towed to campus from another city. The student was transported to their dorm and the tow truck was directed where to park the vehicle.

5:27 p.m. Students reported the theft of three pairs of cleats from the lacrosse and soccer locker room between May 2 and June 2. The total value of the cleats was estimated at $300.

Saturday, June 5, 2021

1:46 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street Housing Unit. The cause of the alarm was smoke from cooking bacon. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

Sunday, June 6, 2021

1:55 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. Smoke from cooking bacon activated the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm reset. A work order was filed to check the exhaust fan.

Monday, June 7, 2021

6:11 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. The cause of the alarm was a dirty detector. The detector was replaced and the alarm was reset. While on the scene, officers observed two grinders and a small bag containing suspected marijuana on a desk in plain view. The items were confiscated and turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

Tuesday, June 8, 2021

1:02 a.m. Custodial staff reported a bat flying around on the first floor of Peters Hall. An officer responded and propped open exterior doors. The bat was able to fly out the open doors.

8:40 p.m. A student requested assistance in opening the door to a washing machine in Firelands Apartments so they could get their clothing. An officer and maintenance technician responded. The door was opened. A pair of pants was damaged from a piece of wire that was near the door.

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

10:09 a.m. Officers were requested to meet with a construction manager at South Hall. Officers were advised that, while removing a radiator, construction workers found a bag of a leafy substance, consistent with marijuana, taped to the back cover. The item was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.