Security Notebook

Thursday, July 1, 2021

3:48 p.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from the bike rack on the west side of Langston Hall on June 27, 2021. The bike is a men’s Trek Cruiser Classic with red with white flames on the side, a fender on the front and back, and a water bottle holder. The bike was valued at $200.

Friday, July 2, 2021

9:30 a.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported their camera missing from a desk drawer in their room.  The camera is a black Nikon DSLR Rebel E075 valued at approximately $500.  

10:21 a.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from the bike rack on the east side of Firelands Apartments. The bike was registered and had been secured with a cable lock. It is a Nishiki Manitoba Hybrid Bike 700C of unknown value. 

Monday, July 5, 2021

9:23 a.m. Ground and Athletic Maintenance staff reported an offensive message painted on the rock south of the Memorial Arch at Tappan Square. A Campus Safety officer and a maintenance technician responded and the message was painted over.

7:34 p.m. An officer on patrol in the area of Professor Street was flagged down by an Oberlin resident who was requesting assistance. The individual was visibly upset and was transported to the Oberlin Police Department for assistance. 

Tuesday, July 6, 2021 

7:06 a.m. The Grounds Service Manager was informed that another unknown person had painted another offensive statement on the rock south of the Memorial Arch at Tappan Square. An officer responded and an emergency work order was filed to have the rock painted over.

3:26 p.m. An officer at the Allen Memorial Art Museum was requested to assist a visitor who struck their head on the top of a locker door. The individual declined medical attention. The individual accepted an ice pack.

Friday, July 9, 2021

7:01 a.m. Custodial staff reported a male, approximately 40 to 50 years of age, walking through Mudd Center parking lot, screaming. An officer responded and located the individual; Oberlin Police also responded and spoke with the individual, who was enroute to an appointment at Mercy Allen Hospital.

9:26 a.m. The Hotel at Oberlin staff reported an individual wandering the halls of the Hotel. When approached, the individual said that they were looking for their bike. An officer responded and helped the individual find their bicycle. The officer informed the individual that since they were not a guest of the Hotel, they needed to leave the area. The individual complied. 

12:02 p.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student at Harkness House. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment. 

Monday, July 12, 2021

5:35 p.m. A resident of Oberlin reported an audible alarm sounding at a Village House on West Lorain Street. Officers responded and reported that a detector, sitting in a window, was wet and activated the alarm. An electrician responded and replaced the detector.

6:30 p.m. Staff reported a tilted light pole in the parking lot of the Professional Services Building. It appeared as though the pole had been struck by a vehicle, as there was turfing in the area. A work order was filed.

7:04 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with an ill student at Kahn Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital emergency room for treatment.

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

12:22 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm at the Goldsmith Village Housing Units. Upon arrival there was a haze of smoke in the kitchen caused by burnt food. The area was cleared of smoke and the alarm reset.

Friday, July 16, 2021

1:16 a.m. Custodial staff reported a vacuum cleaner cord got stuck in an elevator door track. An officer and electrician responded. The cord was removed. Power to the elevator was shut off as it was not operating properly.

Sunday, July 18, 2021

1:14 a.m. Officers were requested at Kahn Hall to assist a student who had consumed a marijuana edible and became ill. An ambulance was requested and the student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital.

Monday, July 19, 2021

2:50 p.m. A staff member at the Professional Services Building reported a cabinet door in the kitchen fell, striking them in the head. Officers and Facilities staff responded. The staff member declined medical treatment at the time.  

7:10 p.m. Staff at DeCafé reported an individual filling their backpack with food and starting to walk out without paying. The individual was approached by a Campus Safety officer in the area. The individual refused to produce an ID and then proceeded to the cash register to pay for the items, then left the area.

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

2:07 p.m. A faculty member reported flooding in the basement of Rice Hall. Officers and Facility Services staff responded. Transportation responded and moved items to prevent damage. Custodial staff responded to extract water.

10:41 p.m. An officer on patrol of the Allen Memorial Art Museum observed an individual climbing in the construction area. The officer instructed the individual to come down and asked for their ID. The individual said they had forgotten it. Approximately 5–6 additional individuals were instructed to come down and, when asked for ID, began to run. Attempts to locate those involved were not successful.

Wednesday, July 21, 2021

2:23 a.m. A resident of Firelands Apartments requested assistance from officers, as they were having an allergic reaction. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital emergency room for treatment.

10:40 a.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a fire alarm on the fourth floor of Firelands Apartments. Upon arrival, officers found that the room was filled with smoke, but there was no fire. It appeared that an oven mitt had fallen onto the stove, catching fire. The area was cleared of smoke and the alarm reset.