Litoff Building Already Earns Award

Alexandria Cho, Staff Writer

The Litoff building — the newest addition to the Conservatory and soon-to-be-home of jazz studies, music history and music theory — is making fast progress in ways that transcend its construction schedule.

The American Institute of Architects recently recognized the building and architect Westlake Reed Leskosky for excellence and sustainability, with the AIA Western Mountain Region 2009 Honor Award for Unbuilt Work.

According to an Oberlin press release available online, students will have access to “a world-class recording studio; flexible rehearsal and performance spaces; teaching studios and practice rooms; a glass-enclosed social hub for interaction; and an archive for the largest private jazz recording collection in America, rare musical instruments and a rare collection of jazz photographs from the 1960s, among other holdings” by spring 2010.

News of the building is generating much buzz around campus among students of the College and Conservatory alike. “It’s really going to help the practice room situation, which is cramped right now, and I think it will improve the overall music facilities for students,” said double-degree first-year Robert Salazar, who is majoring in jazz drums.

With geothermal heating and cooling with radiant panels, energy-efficient systems and lighting, roof gardens, storm water runoff collection and filtration, and the use of local, recycled and sustainably harvested materials, Oberlin’s new building will stay true to its environmental ideals and make an important segue toward sustainability.

In the words of Conservatory Dean David H. Stull, “[The Litoff Building] is about bringing us together, pursuing great art, fostering harmony within our community, and reminding all of us of the imperative need to steward our environment.”

More information about the building, including a live feed of its construction, is available at www2.oberlin. edu/litoff/.