Security Notebook

Thursday, April 21, 2022

1:51 p.m. Campus Safety officers observed that the lettering on the “Welcome to Campus Safety” sign located in the lobby of the Campus Safety Office displayed profanity. Officers removed the profanity.

Sunday, April 24, 2022

12:09 a.m. Students walking on Elm Street near South Hall reported to Campus Safety that a suspicious vehicle possibly followed them before entering South Hall. An officer responded and met with the students while a second officer searched the area and located a vehicle matching the description belonging to a delivery person. The officers transported the students to their residence.

4:41 a.m. The Oberlin Police Department called Campus Safety, informing them of a request they received for an ambulance to South Hall. Officers responded and a student who was not feeling well was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment. The student was later transported back to their dorm.

9:01 p.m. A custodial manager reported that four individuals in a white Nissan Versa were shouting obscenities and firing paintballs at the Kohl Building and Conservatory areas. The vehicle left the area and headed southbound from the parking lot. Officers and Oberlin Police Department members responded and searched the area, but could not locate the individuals. There were no injuries reported.

Monday, April 25, 2022

7:20 a.m. An officer unlocking the Wright Laboratory of Physics heard alarms sounding in the building, which were confirmed to be from an activated smoke detector. An employee working in the area activated the alarm from dust while working on a rusty metal pipe. Oberlin Fire Department members also responded and the alarm was reset.

10:19 a.m. A student who was not feeling well requested transport from Bailey House to Mercy Allen Hospital. The student was later transported back to their dorm.

11:03 a.m. Mercy Allen Hospital staff requested a transport for a student from the hospital to their off-campus residence on Lorain Street. The student was transported back to their residence.

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

8:02 p.m. Officers and Oberlin Fire Department members responded to a reported smell of smoke at Barnard House. Officers, Oberlin Fire Department members, and an electrician responded and detected an electrical burning smell, at which time the pull station was activated. The cause of the odor was found to be a melted electronic men’s shaving razor. The alarm was silenced and reset.

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

11:05 a.m. A student reported the theft of the catalytic converter from their vehicle while parking in Woodland Street parking lot. The Oberlin Police Department was informed.