Peace and Conflict Studies Group Explains Goals

To the Editors:

Think the nonviolent revolutions in Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Jordan, Libya, Bahrain, etc. are spontaneous? Think again! News sources as diverse as the New York Times, the BBC and Radio Free Europe have reported that not only were they several years in planning, but these revolutions also owe a debt of gratitude to a shy intellectual named Gene Sharp. Sharp has been publishing books on nonviolent social change for over 50 years, and his how-to manual, From Dictatorship to Democracy, is currently available in 24 languages, from Amharic to Vietnamese.

The most potent vindication of Sharp’s political theories came in their adoption by a Serbian student and youth movement, Otpor!, which was instrumental in the overthrow of Serbian dictator Slobodan Milosevic in 2000. Since then, with the help of Oberlin’s own Hardy Merriman, OC ’01, the Serbian students documented their own experiences, added them to Sharp’s theories, and published their own Guide to Effective Nonviolent Struggle. And, as reported by the New York Times, “Egypt’s April 6 Youth Movement modeled its logo — a red and white clenched fist — after Otpor’s, and some of its members traveled to Serbia to meet with Otpor activists.”

The Changing the World ExCo, offered last fall, also adopted Otpor’s clenched fist as its logo, which was prominently painted on one of Tappan Square’s rocks to advertise the course. ExCo 119, led by town resident Tom Lock and students Alex Toutant and Fajer Saeed, used the Guide to Effective Nonviolent Struggle as its main text, and also discussed local topics such as Karl Rove’s visit to campus in the fall and the OCOPE negotiations. Says Lock, “It’s gratifying to see your course material jumping out of today’s headlines at you.”

The Peace and Conflict Studies Connections group is continuing in the Oberlin tradition of activism to inform the College that nonviolence is indeed “a force more powerful,” which has been and will continue to be one of the most important forces shaping the world. To that end, it invites all interested individuals to our meetings on Sundays at 5 p.m. in Wilder to help plan an even stronger PACS concentration at Oberlin College through collaborations with other peace-minded groups, speakers, and activities.

The PACS Connections Group
-Allegra Fonda-Bonardi, College senior
-Al Carroll, OC ’58