Security Notebook

Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017

8:20 a.m. Staff reported a mirror torn off the wall in Wilder Hall’s basement men’s restroom. Photos were taken and a work order filed for repair.

10:21 a.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from the east side of Wilder Hall. The bike is a blue, 21-speed Giant with a back rack. The bicycle is registered and was locked at the time of theft.

1:23 p.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Peters Hall. The alarm was activated by contractors vacuuming in the basement.

8:08 p.m. Staff reported vandalism to their work truck. Unknown person(s) wrote non-offensive words on the back of the truck with a black marker.

Friday, Sept. 1, 2017

8:30 a.m. A resident of Kahn Hall reported a suspicious person in the lobby of the building at approximately 8:30 a.m. Friday. A description was obtained and a check of the building was made, but no one matching the description was found.

12:30 p.m. Safety and Security officers responded to assist a staff member who was feeling ill from inhaling paint fumes in Stevenson Dining Hall. The staff member was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

2:34 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the basement of Mudd library. Smoke from burnt popcorn was the cause of the alarm, which was reset.

Saturday, Sept. 2, 2017

9:35 a.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit. Smoke from cooking was the cause of the alarm, which was reset.

11:14 a.m. Oberlin Police Department was advised of offensive graffiti painted on one of the two rocks in Tappan Square dedicated to the artistic expression of the Oberlin community. A painter responded and the graffiti was removed.

1:55 p.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from the bike rack just west of Price House. The bicycle is a men’s red, 15-speed Motobecane mountain bike. The bicycle was not secured at the time of theft.

Sunday, Sept. 3, 2017

1:47 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with an intoxicated student in the third floor bathroom at Dascomb Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

2:51 a.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student, ill from alcohol consumption, at Barrows Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

12:06 p.m. Grounds staff reported a large party on the east side of a Goldsmith Village Housing Unit, along with numerous beer cans and bottles on the ground. It is unknown what unit was hosting the party; an unknown individual cleaned up the debris.

6:27 p.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a report of a smoke detector activation at a Woodland Street Village Housing Unit. Residents explained that they were cooking when the detector began to sound. A work order was filed to install an exhaust hood for ventilation.

Monday, Sept. 4, 2017

10:18 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of Allencroft House. Steam from showers had caused the alarm, which was reset. The students were advised to keep the bathroom door closed while showering.

Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017

11:16 a.m. Staff reported a bagged smoke detector in a room on the third floor of South Hall. A Safety and Security officer responded and observed a pipe containing marijuana residue in plain view. The bag was removed from the detector and the pipe was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.