Security Notebook

Thursday, March 21, 2019

9:46 p.m. Residential Education staff conducting life safety inspections in Burton Hall reported locating empty beer cans, a glass bong, and a bagged smoke detector in a room on the second floor. The bong was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department, and the plastic bag was removed from the detector.

Friday, March 22, 2019

5:14 p.m. A Campus Safety officer on routine patrol of the College ash dump reported that three individuals ran from a smokey area. Members of the Oberlin Police Department and Lorain County Sheriff’s Office also responded. The individuals were identified as students, and they stated that they were burning an old stuffed animal and a book. The sheriff’s deputy warned the students that open burning is prohibited in Ohio.

Sunday, March 24, 2019

11:28 p.m. Officers responded to a report that a student was stuck in a practice room in Robertson Hall. A College maintenance technician and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded and were able to get the door open. The student reported that they were OK and exited the room.

Monday, March 25, 2019

6:04 p.m. A staff member reported that wooden furniture was moved from the Burton Hall patio to the center of North Quad. The furniture was not broken but had been disconnected from the chains tethering it to the concrete. A work order was filed.

Thursday, March 28, 2019

6:38 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Village Housing Unit. The alarm was activated by smoke that resulted from cooking on a dirty stove. The area was cleared, the alarm was reset, and the students were advised to clean the stove.

6:52 p.m. A student reported observing two young individuals possibly trying to steal bicycles at the bike racks near Price House on the evening of Tuesday, March 26. The student said the individuals left the area after being observed.

9:09 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in Langston Hall. The alarm was activated by smoke from cooking oil. The area was cleared, and the alarm was reset.

Saturday, March 30, 2019

11:30 a.m. A resident in Price House reported an ant infestation in their room. A College maintenance technician responded.

6:59 p.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from outside of Price House. A report was also filed with the Oberlin Police Department.

Sunday, March 31, 2019

5:00 p.m. A student reported two juvenile individuals sitting on the bike rack near Fairchild House. The individuals were later seen entering the Kohl Building, where they were approached by an officer. The individuals were identified and advised that they could not use the facilities unless accompanied by someone affiliated with Oberlin. The individuals left the area.

6:51 p.m. A student reported the theft of their PlayStation 4 from their Village Housing Unit on Cedar Street at some time during spring break. A window was found with the screen pushed in and the window propped open with a stick. Members of the Oberlin Police Department also responded.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

5:08 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to an activated fire alarm on the second floor of Bibbins Hall. The area was checked, and officers did not discover the reason for the alarm. The alarm was silenced and reset. It is not known who pulled the alarm.

5:12 p.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from outside of Harkness House over spring break.

8:38 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in Barrows Hall. The alarm was activated by smoke from burnt food. The area was cleared, and the alarm was reset.