Security Notebook

Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019

11:38 a.m. A resident of a Union Street Housing Unit reported that their headphones were stolen from their backpack in their room. The headphones are Beats, Studio3 Skyline edition, dark gray and gold in color, and valued at $350.

12:00 p.m. Campus Safety officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at South Hall. Smoke from adding butter to a hot pan activated the smoke detector. The area was cleared of smoke and the alarm was reset.

4:13 p.m. A resident of Langston Hall reported a strong odor of burnt tobacco on the second floor. Officers located the room that the odor originated from and spoke with the occupant, who denied smoking. Rolling papers, tobacco, filters, and tobacco residue were observed on a table in plain view. The student was advised of the campus smoking policy.

Friday, Nov. 8, 2019

1:19 a.m. A student reported being approached by an older male subject asking for money in North Quad. When the student said that they could not help him, he walked away. Officers checked the area, and the individual could not be located.

1:45 p.m. A student reported that they lost their purse in the Clarence Ward Art Building or Wilder Hall area. An officer responded and searched the spaces with no results. The purse is small, brown in color, made of leather, and contains a credit card and miscellaneous items. The student was advised to cancel the credit card.

3:15 p.m. A student reported observing a suspicious individual in South Hall on two different occasions: at 2 a.m. on Thursday morning and again around noon on Friday. Officers checked the area but did not locate the individual. The incident is under investigation.

Sunday, Nov. 10, 2019

12:29 a.m. Officers and the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm in the second-floor lounge area of Langston Hall. Smoke from a burnt pastry in the microwave activated the alarm. The area was cleared and the alarm was reset.

7:15 p.m. Officers were requested to assist with a student who had fainted in Tappan Square. Upon arrival, the student was conscious, and appeared pale and dazed. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

10:42 p.m. An officer conducting routine patrol at Kahn Hall was approached by a resident who reported broken ceiling tiles in the game room and holes poked in others. A work order was filed for repair.

Monday, Nov. 11, 2019

9:39 a.m. A student reported the theft of their skateboard from outside of Asia House sometime between 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. the previous day. The longboard is approximately 3 feet long, tan in color, and has tan wheels. There is a picture of a wave and a mountain on the underside of the board.

2:37 p.m. Officers were requested to assist staff in South Hall with confiscating drug paraphernalia. A multicolored grinder containing a substance consistent with marijuana and a black glass tube containing residue consistent with burnt marijuana were confiscated. The items were turned over to the Oberlin Police Department for disposal.

Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019

8:54 p.m. A student reported their wallet missing from their room in South Hall. The wallet is pink and contained a credit/debit card and other miscellaneous items.

Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019

12:00 a.m. A student reported the theft of their bicycle from the south side of Langston Hall. The bicycle is a Schwinn folding bike with small tires, valued between $140 and $180. The bicycle was not locked at the time of the theft.