Upcoming Events

Saturday, March 4

11 a.m.: Researching Big Mama: From 20th Century to Slavery in the Oberlin Public Library Meeting Room

The Oberlin African-American Genealogy & History Group invites participants to attend a hybrid presentation about the genealogical project that uncovered the origins of a song, as well as some of the lost relatives of Big Mama.

6-9 p.m.: Purim Masquerade featuring klezmer band Shtick & Poke in the Root Room of Carnegie Building

Participants are invited to a Purim celebration at 6 p.m. The event will feature dancing, storytelling, Hamentaschen, and a live performance from student klezmer band Shtick & Poke, starting at 7:30 p.m. The dress code is formal, and masquerade masks are provided.

Monday, March 6

3:30–5 p.m.: Black History 101 Mobile Museum in the Gymnasium of Oberlin Elementary School

Oberlin City School District was selected to house Dr. Khalid el-Hakim’s award-winning Black History 101 Mobile Museum, a collection of artifacts of Black memorabilia spanning multiple centuries. The museum will be open Monday, March 6 and Tuesday, March 7 from 3:30–5 p.m.

Tuesday, March 7

12:30–2 p.m.: Anxiety and Campus Culture Panel Discussion in Moffett Auditorium of Mudd Center A panel of professors, counselors, and student support staff, moderated by Psychologist and Multicultural Specialist Maya Akinfosile, will meet to discuss student experiences of anxiety and potential coping strategies.

6–8 p.m.: Oberlin Community Meeting at the Prospect School Building: Is Oberlin a great place for people of all backgrounds?

There will be two sessions, at 6 p.m. and at 7 p.m. Light dinner will be served, and registration is required. Register at commsols. com/OberlinEquity. Those who cannot attend are invited to share their thoughts at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/OberlinOptInForum.

7 p.m.: Purim Game Night with Oberlin Hillel at Cat in the Cream

Oberlin Hillel invites participants to celebrate Purim with games, Hamentaschen, snacks, and a Purim spiel. Costumes are encouraged.

Wednesday, March 8

7–8:30 p.m.: Recovery Group hosted by Let’s Get Real in Wilder 212

Every Wednesday, Let’s Get Real hosts a “non-judgmental recovery space led by a trained facilitator” in Wilder Hall, room 212. For more information, contact mburgdor@ oberlin.edu.

Thursday, March 9

8–9 p.m.: Oberlin Opera Theater presents Bernstein’s Candide in Hall Auditorium Adapted from Voltaire’s satirical novella Candide, Oberlin Opera Theater presents Bernstein’s opera. Tickets are sold in advance and, an at-the-door, cash-only waitlist for tickets for sold-out times will open an hour before the show. Performances will also take place on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Friday, March 10

10–11 a.m.: Sustainable Infrastructure Program Tour starting at the Adam Joseph Lewis Center for Environmental Sustainability Participants are invited on a walking tour across campus to learn more about the SIP. Hosted by the Office of Environmental Sustainability, tours will take place on the second Friday of each month throughout the spring semester. Interested parties who are unavailable during these times are encouraged to reach out to [email protected].