Upcoming Events, April 21

Friday, April 21

5:30–7:30 p.m.: Oberlin Green Group Vegetarian Potluck Gathering at First Church Oberlin, Fellowship Hall
Attendees are invited to bring a vegetarian dish to serve six to eight. “Green group” representatives will briefly present on their organizations at 7 p.m., and College Campus Energy and Resource Manager Joel Baetens will speak on updates to the geothermal energy project. Organizers hope this potluck serves as both a celebration and a networking opportunity.

Saturday, April 22

10 a.m.–12 p.m.: 2023 Earth Day 5K Run, beginning in Tappan Square
This year’s iteration of the annual Earth Day 5K Run is open to runners of all ages. Participants may register for $25 on the day of the race.

1–4 p.m.: Reproductive Justice Spring Flea Market in StudiOC
The Reproductive Justice Alliance is set to host a spring flea market, which will serve as a gathering space for student musicians and speakers with an emphasis on centering BIPOC voices. Student-made art will also be available for purchase, and proceeds will go toward Midwest organizations dedicated to reproductive justice for BIPOC people.

8:30 p.m.: #OCDragBall23 America Has a Problem Drag Ball in Hales Gymnasium
This year’s iteration of the annual Drag Ball is themed “#OCDragBall23 America Has a Problem.”

Sunday, April 23

12:30–1:30 p.m.: Concert in Memory of Maura Olivero in Warner Concert Hall
Colleagues of Maura Olivero will gather in Warner Concert Hall to perform in celebration of Olivero’s life and impact. Light refreshments will be served.

4–5:30 p.m.: Oberlin- Wellington Rescue Documentary World Premiere at the Apollo Theater
A Higher Law: The Oberlin- Wellington Rescue of 1858 will make its debut in the Apollo Theater. The film details a key event in Ohio’s history of abolitionism, during which 37 men were charged with violations of the Fugitive Slave Act. Filmmakers Scott Spears and Christina Paolucci will be present for a question-and-answer session after the showing.

Monday, April 24

7:30–9 p.m.: OJS + Crimson Collective Present: Brandee Younger Trio at the Cat in the Cream Harpist, composer, and educator Brandee Younger, accompanied by Rashaan Carter and Allan Mednard, will perform. Younger will also host a master class earlier on Monday in Bibbins Hall, room 237, at 1 p.m. Both the performance and master class are hosted by the Oberlin Jazz Society and the Crimson Collective.

Thursday, April 27

4:30–6 p.m.: Stitched & Sewn: A Testimony from a Holocaust Survivor in Dye Lecture Hall
Sponsored by the Chabad at Oberlin Student Group, attendees are invited to view the story of Holocaust survivor and artist Trudie Strobel through the lens of tapestry and other works of art. Admission is free and open to all.