Security Report: Feb. 6 – Feb. 12, 2014

Staff

Thursday, Feb. 6

12:17 p.m. Officers were requested to assist a student who slipped and fell on East College Street, injuring her arm. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

1:00 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Police Department responded to a report of a dog bite at the Union Street Housing Complex. The victim, a College employee, was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

3:56 p.m. Several faculty members reported that some of their textbooks had gone missing over Winter Term. The thefts are under investigation.

Friday, Feb. 7

6:10 a.m. Staff members reported a gas odor near the grills in Wilder Hall. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to the report and turned off the gas.

2:14 p.m. An officer responded to the west side of Hall Auditorium to assist a student who was having an allergic reaction. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for treatment.

7:47 p.m. Officers responded to a report of vandalism in the men’s restroom at Stevenson Dining Hall. Three students in the area were questioned, but denied causing any of the damage. A work order was filed to repair a hole in the wall.

Saturday, Feb. 8

11:56 a.m. An officer on patrol of Firelands Apartments observed water leaking from the ceiling by the west door. A maintenance technician staff member responded and found that the leak appeared to be coming from the kitchen sink drain of a second floor apartment. The water was turned off and repairs were made.

1:58 p.m. A student reported finding a stainless steel grinder on a picnic table near the north entrance of Dascomb. The grinder, which contained a residue consistent with marijuana, was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

3:42 p.m. A student reported the theft of his t-shirt, black hooded sweatshirt and pair of white Air Jordan high tops from the varsity locker room at Philips gym. The value of the items is estimated at $600.

10:44 p.m. Safety and Security officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm on the second floor of South Hall. Smoke from burnt broccoli and Brussels sprouts had activated the alarm. The area was cleared of smoke and the alarm was reset.

Sunday, Feb. 9 

1:08 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint at Union Street Housing Complex. The unauthorized party was shut down and attendees were asked to vacate the area.

8:06 a.m. An officer on patrol at Firelands Apartments observed non-offensive graffiti in black marker on the north exterior door of Firelands Apartments. A work order was filed.

Monday, Feb. 10

10:45 a.m. A student reported the theft of her black Eddie Bauer coat, ID and keys from a party she attended on Woodland Street the night before. The coat is valued at approximately $150.

Tuesday, Feb. 11 

9:38 a.m. Custodial staff reported finding a substance consistent with marijuana inside an unoccupied room in East Hall. Officers responded and the clear bag containing the substance was turned over to the Oberlin Police Department.

7:24 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at Firelands Apartments.